Green

At the same time Gilbert Blythe was walking up the lane that went past Rachel Lynde's house and up to Green Gables, Anne Shirley-Cuthbert was in hysterics

"Green!" Anne wailed in anguish as she looked into the mirror that reflected the sunny atmosphere of her room. She was finger her hair with trembling hands.

Anne thought there could be nothing worse than red-hair, but oh how wrong she was.

Both Marilla and Mathew were out of the house for the summer day, and while they were gone, Anne was left alone. She spent the morning making flower chains, then went inside and was just starting to imagine she was Princess Cordelia when there was a knock. Anne had gone to the door and discovered it was a peddler who often came through Avonlea. Caught in a sudden rush of vanity, Anne purchased a bottle of dye that the peddler told her would turn her hair a lovely raven-black.

Anne had quickly gone up to her room and attempted to dye her hair, but when she looked into the mirror, her hair was very very far from black. It was a horrendous green.

"Now I really am Anne of Green Gables," Anne said while she watched the tears roll down her face in her reflection.

A knock came from down stairs. Anne stopped playing with the catastrophe which was her hair, and stiffened. Her eyebrows suddenly knit together in anger.

"It's that peddler again," said Anne to her reflection. "Well, I'm going to go ask him what he thinks of my 'raven-black hair'"

Anne jumped from her seat and went storming downstairs.

As she approached the door she began to yell.

"I'm coming Mr. Peddler!" she hollered, the anger in her voice quite apparent. "And I just have one question for you, sir, are you-" Anne flung open the front door "- color bli- Gilbert!"

Anne's eyes widened. She had expected to find the lowly peddler on her door step, instead it was Gilbert Blythe, a few months older and a couple inches taller then when she'd seen him last. He looked quite startled by her yelling and angry expression.

"Hello Anne, was this a bad time?" asked Gilbert awkwardly..

Anne's mouth opened, not sure what to say. She was so startled by his sudden appearance she wasn't sure whether she should meekly greet him, or rage at him for making her mortifying situation ten times more mortifying than it already was.

Luckily she was saved the difficulty of deciding when Gilbert caught sight of her hair. His eyes widened.

"Anne, what happened to your hair?" he cried out.