The Storm

The night was dark and a storm was raging

The night was dark and a storm was raging. Gilbert Blythe, rain drenched and freezing cold, tried to keep his balance as the ship rocked beneath his feet. He fought his way through the pelting rain and fierce wind, unable to see a thing. Something bumped into him.

"Who's that?" cried a voice of a fellow sailor. "Who's that?"

"It's me, Gilbert," Gilbert yelled over the howling wind.

"What'e yeh doin' out here?" Shouted the other sailor. He grabbed Gilbert by the shoulders. "We gotta get back inside now!"

"I need to make sure there's no one left on deck," said Gilbert.

"It's too dangerous," yelled the other sailor.

"If there is anyone out there, they could die!" Gilbert pushed the Sailor off.

"And you could die as well!"

Gilbert ignored him. He continued to fight his way across the deck, shielding his face against the cold rain raging towards him.

CRACK!

Gilbert looked around wildly for the source of the noise. A flash of lightning lit the sky just long enough for Gilbert to see the barrels rolling across the deck toward him. Gilbert didn't have much time to react before he was knocked off his feet by a barrel. Gilbert landed hard on his leg. He cried out in pain, but the pain didn't last long. Another barrel came rolling and knocked him out cold

~~~~~~

The storm had hit in Avonlea as well. Anne Shirley-Cuthbert made her way through the yard, assisting the injured plants and flowers.

"There you go," said Anne. She was smiling sympathetically down at a limp purple crocus she held propped up with small twigs. "Poor little thing."

"Anne!"

Anne looked up and saw Marilla standing on the porch. She had a worried look on her face.

"Yes, Marilla?" called Anne.

"Please come inside a moment," said Marilla.

Anne bid the crocus goodbye, then hurried inside. Marilla and Mathew were not the only ones in the kitchen. Their good neighbor, Rachel Lynde, was there as well.

"It's simply awful, Marilla," said Rachel, blowing her nose in a handkerchief. "I must go to help, but Thomas has a cold and isn't up to driving so far."