Carrots

By bubblegum

Anne tilted her little straw hat back as she peered into the sunny pathway on the way to school. Summer was rolling in and Anne was absolutely delighted by the thought of sitting amongst the gorgeous white flowers and hanging out with Ruby or Diana.
With the promising prospect of a lovely vacation, Anne hopped and skipped to school, barely seeing the time go as she merrily hummed tunes and swished her skirts on the way there.

Only when the school was finally looming overhead did Anne's spirits dampen.
She gave out a heavy sigh and tucked her hat under her arm, squinting up at the door in front of her.
"There really isn't anything likeable about school anymore... I hardly would've thought it would make such a difference without Gil here..."
With a heavy heart, Anne trudged into the little red house just as the school bell sounded in her ears.

Anne set her little beige hat on the rusted metal hook in the main hall and then continued to trudge to the classroom. She daintily took a seat beside Diana who was in a deep conversation with none other than Ruby Gillis.

"Hey guys," Anne said.

"Hey!" Diana replied. "Why are you looking so down?" Diana pursed her lips and frowned slightly.

Anne opened her mouth to answer when all of a sudden, the professor walked in and began speaking feverishly.

"Students, I will be changing your seats today," He began. A huge number of groans erupted from the class.
"It will be a one boy and one girl seating arrangement." A few more groans.
"And the decision is final."

The names slowly rolled out as one grumpy boy was forcefully settled with one unhappy girl.
The names seemed to drone on and yet Anne couldn't hear her own.
Finally, the professor uttered the name Anne Shirley.
Anne was uncomfortably looking around the room, slate and chalk in hand, wondering which of the last seats she would claim and with whom.

"Anne Shirley Cuthbert and... Gilbert Blythe."
A wave of gasps arose from the students at those particular words that the professor uttered.

"Gilbert Blythe?!"

"He isn't here anymore, sir!"

"He's gone to live with family, sir."

"Quiet!" The professor brought back the silence in the room.
"He is back," more gasps of shock. "And is staying with one of his aunts."

Just as he said this, the door of the school was thrown open and a panting, young boy emerged from the door looking strikingly more mature indeed.
Anne peered at the boy curiously and tucked a strand of bright red hair behind her ear. "Gil...?"

"Anne!" He muttered with a jolly expression and hooked his arm with hers. In the far corner of the class, Ruby audibly sniffled.

"Who's my bench partner, sir?" He asked the professor quickly.

"Anne Shirley. Now sit quietly everyone! Settle down!" He banged his duster on the teachers table.

Gilbert hurriedly dragged his new dazed partner to their seats and settled down with her.
"Anne! It's been so long!" He said in an excited whisper.

His features had most definitely changed. His eyelashes had become long and thin, the colour of charcoal or soot. His eyes so glamorous and vibrant.
His black hair shone healthily and his face looked mature, yet at the same time jolly and young.

"Yeah..." Anne said, staring deeply into his eyes.

"No competition... You know. At school." She quickly diverted her eyes and changed the topic.
"Oh! Um... I see," Gilbert replied awkwardly.

"Though it's nice to have you back nevertheless." Anne grinned. She had finally picked up the courage to give the boy a warm hug.
Gilbert sat there shocked for a moment, but quickly returned it.

"I could say the same to you, carrots."

My first Anne with an E oneshot!!