Sleeping Beauty | Contest Winner

This story won our Come Home Someday contest!

Written by: WinterAmaryliss

Anne lay in bed, her eyes not leaving the ceiling. She was sick with a cold and was not able to go to school. All she was allowed to do was to use her imagination. Which wasn't a problem because she was great at it.

So she rested her head on the feathered pillow, thinking of a dragon with the face of Billy Andrews. For some reason she was wearing a dress Marilla wouldn't approve of. It wasn't very lady like. It went up to one's knees, and was the color of Robin's egg blue. She wore boots the same color, and her auburn (yes, auburn) hair was nice and long making her look like a princess.

She wore a sword bejeweled with gems. It was her imagination after all, and she fought trying to protect her people. She threw the sword and it missed. No! Anne couldn't believe her stupidity. She felt the claws wrap around her waist. Then the dragon put her in a deep sleep, a magical one, only to be awoken by true love's kiss.

Who would wake her? She imagined a tall, strong hero just arriving on a beautiful steed. Belle, perhaps. He had a sword in hand and threw it, slaying the dragon. She imagined that he was a prince and as he walked up the tower, she still couldn't place a face on him.

He gently kissed the sleeping princess, awakening her. The princess woke with a jolt and then he said something.

"Any Dragons around here need slaying?"

Anne, the real Anne, sat up in her bed. Her eyes widened as she realized who it was. No! No, no, no, no! It couldn't be! No, no, no, no, no, no, no and no. No. Uh-uh.

Anne threw the sheets off and ran downstairs.

"Marilla!" Anne called. "Marilla, I can't stay home. It's making me crazy! I just had a dream of - Gilbert? Why, when did you come back?"

Her surprised eyes not leaving his face. He had grown taller and more muscular, due to the work on the ship. It seemed he had cut his hair though it was still as dark and curly as ever. She noticed he was tanner as well.

"Hi, Anne," he said cheerily.