Chapter 7 - The one with the Transfiguration

"Would you stop?" Dorcas groaned as she glanced at her best friend, who had a nose buried in a book in the middle of lunch time.

It wasn't an uncommon thing though, for Iris to be so into a story that she ends up taking the book everywhere with her. But for her to be studying in the middle of the week and during meals, that was strange. And that was what was worrying Dorcas. Her friend has been doing for the past two weeks.

"What are you even studying anyway?" The black haired girl asked, when she got no response from Iris whatsoever. "Transfiguration?"

"Yeah. Transfiguration." Iris mumbled, not looking up. Dorcas huffed. "I'm terrible at Transfiguration."

"It's only been two months of classes, Irie. You need to relax."

Dorcas reached over to a piece of chicken pie and placed it on Iris' plate. The girl looked up at that and smiled at her friend, who always tried her best to make sure she was alright.

"I know I just... I should at least be able do something, shouldn't I?" She whined, closing her book and start eating. "I mean... Even if it's wrong... Glenda's cup had a tail last class, but at least it changed to something. But I just... I point my wand to the cup, say the spell but nothing happens. Nothing!"

"Oh, well... Maybe you're saying it wrong." Dorcas suggested. Iris sent her a cold glare and she flinched. "Or maybe not... I don't know. Talk to McGonagall. She'll help you, Irie."

"How? I bet she's already given up on me."

"Oh, don't be so dramatic." Dorcas giggled with a roll of her eyes. "Maybe a tutor? Maybe someone younger explaining it to you might help... Saying the same things but in some other way."

"Dorky..." Iris whined again, before taking a sip of her pumpkin juice. "You just want me to meet someone else."

"Well, of course." The girl nodded eagerly.

"We've been through this." Iris rolled her eyes. "I don't like meeting people."

"I don't see why, though." Dorcas responded with shrug of her shoulders. "You have an amazing personality. You just need to let other people in."

"Easy for you to say, Miss Perfection. Everyone that you know adores you."

"But..."

"Come on." Iris interrupted her, throwing her bag over her shoulder and getting up suddenly, clearly uncomfortable with the subject. Dorcas yelped at the fast action of her friend but said nothing. "We're going to be late for class."

And with that, she closed the book of Transfiguration harshly and walked out of the Great Hall. Dorcas sighed and followed her.

"Oh, Merlin..."

***

"Nothing, Ms. Evans?"

Iris looked down at the cup in front of her. The one she should be supposed to be turning into a rat. She blushed as she recognized the voice of no other than Professor McGonagall herself standing behind her. She looked at Dorcas' table, where there no sight of a cup, but instead, a rat was running around in circles, trying to find a way to flee.

"No, Professor..." She mumbled.

Iris did not dare to look up. She wouldn't be able to stand the look of disapproval that the Professor was probably giving her.

"Have you been studding?"

"Yes, Professor. That's all I've been doing, really."

At that McGonagall lifted her eyebrows. She looked over at Dorcas who nodded gently, as if confirming what her friend had just said. The Professor shifted slightly.