Chapter 3 - The one with the train

"Eat up, both of you. Your father will be taking you to..."

"King's Cross Station." Lily finished her mother's sentence with a smile, before taking a sip of her orange juice.

"Yeah, right." Lorraine nodded, but looked down, not wanting her younger daughters to realize how much she despised the idea of them being witches. "He'll be taking you there at nine."

"Great." Lily beamed. "Tuney, can you pass me the butter, please?"

The older girl grabbed the pot of butter and pushed it to the right, so that Lily could reach it, but she didn't even look at her sister.

"Mum?" She called, making the woman to look up from her food and smile at Petunia.

"Yes, dear?"

"Will Lily and Iris stay at school all year?"

"Yes, dear." Lorraine nodded and, being so young, the twins missed the hint of relief that laced their mother's words. Petunia smiled brightly, also happy with the perspective of being apart from her weird sisters. "I guess they'll only be coming home for Christmas."

"And Easter Break." Iris added.

"Right..." Lorraine gulped down her frustration. "And Easter Break."

"They could stay there the whole year, couldn't they, mum?" Petunia said, and Lily's eyes widened.

"Tuney! Don't be mean."

Petunia only rolled her brown eyes and scoffed. Iris looked at her mother, waiting for her to reprehend their sister, but Lorraine did nothing but fixing her hair and coughing uncomfortable. Now, it wasn't as if Lorraine and Petunia didn't like the twins. Until they were about seven, the Evans' were the happiest family to ever live. The three girls got along great, always playing and laughing with each other, even if they did have a bit of an age gap – four years to be exact. But then, at a fateful summer day of 1967, it all changed.

While playing in the garden, Lily, who has always been fascinated by flowers, was holding a very delicate daisy in her hands while Petunia and Iris giggled, watching their sister getting lost in her own world, staring at the plant in her fingers. She spun it around gently, her eyes locked to the daisy. But it was then that it began to float. Lily let out a yelp of surprise and Petunia jumped to her feet.

"What are you doing, Lily?" She shrieked out in fear.

"I don't know, Tuney." She said, not daring to take her eyes from the flower that now levitated an inch over her palm. Iris turned to her sister and also stared at the daisy. "But look, isn't it pretty?"

Petunia gasped and took a step back, tripping over herself.

"I can't believe it! You're a freak, Lily! I'm going to tell mum!"

And she turned around, running back into the house, to tell their mother what she had just witnessed. For a while, she tried to pretend nothing had happened. Maybe it was just something out of Petunia's head. Lorraine and Vincent – their father – did not treat Lily differently and they reprimanded Petunia each and every time she did. But, a few weeks later, during a power outage, Iris managed to light up a candle without a match. Lily thought it was brilliant, but the rest of the family didn't. They had finally accepted something was not right with their younger daughters.