A fairy tale twist (Chapter 24)

"Out. Out of this school." 

"Immediately. There's no question about it."

"What kind of sick teacher would lead on a young girl like that?"

Lead me on?

"He's perverted."

"Yes."

"I feel a bit sorry for her."

"Yes, he was just using her."

I pressed my ear against the door and forced myself to listen to my parents' disgusting conversation. I had been sitting in that position for hours now and my back was burning in protest but I pushed through the pain. I knew that if they ever found out, I would be moving school. And Marko's career would be terminated.

I wondered for a moment what people at school would think about the situation. I had already heard that Anthony was one of the first to hear about ...us but he seemed surprisingly unaffected. I let myself shrug off the thought and focused my attention back on my parents;

“Spanish was one of her strongest subjects. Maybe that’s why…this thing happened.”

“Maybe. She was such a bright girl…how did this happen?”

I scowled; they were talking about me as if the ‘old’ clever Amy had died and a ‘new’, overly naive, attention-seeking one had replaced her. Their voices lowered even further until all I could hear was the deep rumble of my father’s voice. I sighed and sat back, accepting that was the extent of my eavesdropping abilities. Just as I was about to finally pull myself up, I spotted a glass on the coffee table next to me. A small smile formed on my lips and I immediately stood. I avoided all the creaks on the floorboard, happy that I had spent all those nights creeping around my house with my cousins over Christmas.

I brandished the trophy above my head for a moment before resettling in my spot. I discovered that the rim of the glass was perfect for my ear as I leant my face against it as the back was pressed against the door.

“I’ve given up questioning her about it.”

“I’ll try today. But I’m sure she’ll keep her story the same.”

Their voices were a strange kind of muffled; rather like hearing voices when you are in a swimming pool.

“Have you looked at the boarding school website yet?”

Silence.

“I think it will be good for her. I really want all of us to go down there tomorrow to speak with the Principal.”

My mouth dropped open as I realised their intentions; boarding school?

I felt my body become numb and I lost all feeling in my hand. I heard the distant sound of glass crashing, but the noise was stifled by the strength of the silence of my shock. How can they do this to me?

I heard their deep murmurs before a few footsteps. I tried moving my body but all I could do was open and close my mouth like a floundering fish.

The door flung open and sent a gush of man-made wind in my hair as my eyes were opened wide with fear. They both towered above me with an identical expression on their faces; they were strangers to me.  

My father grabbed my limp arm and pulled me to my feet with stern eyes.

“This is what you do now?” He did not hold back his anger as he scolded me.

 I managed to take a step back from them, my mind already heading towards the front door. My mother took a step ahead of my father to speak to me;