Chapter 17- No More Of That

Melrose’s P.O.V

I found myself gasping as I read the message on Juno’s cell phone. I would have never thought it was the air-con man. He looked to normal to be the anonymous texter and blackmailer.

Juno looked at me as if I had grown horns. “What?”

“I know it’ a shock but there’s no need to gasp like you’re on Broadway.” Juno exclaimed, chuckling.

I rolled my eyes, shoving his cell phone back at his chest. “So what are you going to do?”

Juno gave me a blank look. I stared at him totally confused. Surely, there wasn’t anything I had missed right?

All I asked was what he was going to do now. If that was me, I would just carry on ignoring them. Seems that Juno couldn’t resist the temptation of reading the messages.

“Don’t you think if I knew I would do it?” He said, with a hint of sarcasm shining through. “I will probably just turn of my phone. I was thinking about smashing it but Terry would be suspicious and I’m not a good liar-like him.”

I nodded realising that Juno wasn’t the best liar out there. Many times when I have asked him if he was O.K, he would say he was fine. When you could clearly tell he wasn’t.

“Probably your best idea.” I told him truefully.

With that, Juno unlocked his phone and swiftly turned the power off. Juno’s shoulders seemed to instantly lift a little. Like the whole ordeal so far was weighing him down.

The bell decided to explode at that precised moment; leaving me with slight ear damage. I rubbed my ear, to get rid of the ringing.

“Spanish class here we come!” Juno cried, pulling me onto his back. He ran off with me on his back, leaving a trail of unhappy teachers.

“Mr. Nicholls and Miss. Distell!”

Juno ignored our vice principal. We reached our class and Juno allowed me to jump off his back. I did that gratefully, straightening out my clothes.

“Bienvenido, Señor Nicholls y Señorita Distell.” Mr Perez said. I greeted him back in Spanish before taking my seat.

“Well we just ignored our vice principal, better stay clear of her.” Juno explained, his eyes flickering to Jesse who walked into class.

They exchanged smiles as Jesse took a seat on the opposite side of the class. I looked between Juno and Jesse several times, before blinking. They had been in the same class for two weeks and Juno had never battered an eyelash at Jesse before.

The door creaked open and everyone’s eye cast on to the receptionist. She blushed but spoke anyway. “Is Juno Nicholls in here?”

Juno’s head snapped up. “Yes?” he said, looking thoroughly confused.

“Erm, your uncle called to say he needs you to pick him up after school, as his car broke down. Also you need to bring Quinn home too.”

Juno’s eye cast downwards as she mentioned Quinn. I guess Juno didn’t want anyone to know that Quinn was his adoptive cousin. I think I had seen Quinn being beat up by a few bullies before. That’s maybe why Juno didn’t want to be associated with Quinn.

“Gracias.” Mr. Perez said, shutting the door behind the receptionist.

~

“Are you coming round tonight?”