Chapter 11- Unexpected Sights

Melrose's P.O.V

“Let’s get ready.” Brianna exclaimed.

She had cheered up considerably since I had passed the invite to her, from Juno. Actually everyone was coming.

Beau was a bit difficult, but had agreed once I told him that all of his jock friends were going to be there too. It seemed that Juno had just invited everyone- making it one of the biggest parties this year.

People were just coming for the booze and chance of getting laid; rather than going because it was Juno’s birthday.

Brianna’s head popped out of my closet with my black dress with lace around the top. “Wear this!” she urged. I rolled my eyes but otherwise complied. “Anyway, since when did you become so friendly with Juno anyway?”

I shrugged “I don’t know, we just started to talk and then he moved to my Spanish class and we became closer.”

After we were both ready we got in Brianna’s car and went to pick up Aubrey. We blasted music down the street, gaining people’s unwanted attention. But we didn’t care, we were enjoying being young and free.

We arrived at Aubrey’s, pulling in at the curb. “Go and get her then.” Brianna said.

“Nu-uh, you go and get her.”

We both turned our heads simultaneously to face each other. Leaning forward we both reached for the horn and pressed down as hard as possible.

Aubrey came out in her simple pale pink dress, with a mildly annoyed face. It soon dissolved into a grin the closer she came to Brianna’s car.

“Thanks for upsetting my parents.” she grumbled.  We both nodded and burst out with laughter. Brianna and I had our hands slapped over our faces, but it didn’t stop the flow of giggles getting through.

Aubrey rolled her eyes as we took off.

 ~

From a block away you could hear the music booming across the neighbourhood. As we drew closer it became apparent that Juno hadn’t just invited all of our year, but most of our school. Brianna found a place over a block away.

That would be fun when their all drunk and we would have to walk back to the car. I offered to stay sober, so Brianna could have a drink.

We pushed through the numerous bodies that littered the front yard. The front yard was already covered with empty alcohol bottles and drunken people.

Things inside weren’t much better; people were in clusters making out or dancing. The occasional drunk was stumbling about, throwing out random comments. It was really and hot and sticky being in the front room. The loud music wasn’t helping either.

I turned around to find that Brianna and Aubrey had already gone off. I pushed my way through the sticky bodies and into the kitchen.

I was instantly met with a cooling air; that flooded into the kitchen from the open patio door. I fumbled around the kitchen looking for a soft drink.

I finally found one, pouring myself a glass. The coke slid down my throat, cooling my burning body. I turned on my heel and instantly walked into someone.

I stepped back mumbling an apology. “Hey Rose.” I recognised that voice…

 “Happy birthday Juno!” I exclaimed, loud enough so Juno could hear I over the music. He wore a birthday badge that said ‘this is what eighteen and sexy looks like’

He smiled and said “Thanks.”

Ryder appeared at Juno’s side, holding onto his shoulder “Juno, c’mon!” Ryder said, with slightly slurred words.