What Are We

Nathan's Pov
I can hear people talking but I can't open my eyes. No matter how hard I try!

Well I might as well listen to them talking. "She's lost a lot of blood. I'm not sure if she'll make it and if she does she'll never be the same. She'll most likely be scarred for life." One voice said.

I feel something nuzzling my hand. It's soft and had fur. It actually feels a lot like a dog. Wait it is a dog. It must be Captain.

I try to pet him put I can't. Ugh why must I be so weak? I just want to pet Captain.

And what the two voices are talking about is so boring. I think I'll take a little nap.

(Ten minutes later.)

I see a light but my eyes aren't open. I start moving towards the light. I'm so close. It's just within reach.

Luke's Pov.

Her heart monitor started flat lining. The medic quickly started to do some heart compressions on Nathan but it wasn't working.

Then he took out those things doctors use to start someone's heart again. (I have no clue what they are called.)

Her heart monitor started beeping again. "Don't do that again Nathan you scared me there for a minute." I tell Nathan while taking her hand in my own.

I watch as Captain starts licking her hand. I still can't believe that Captain found Nathan. I mean he is a bomb dog and all. So it makes sense that he has a strong sense of smell, but it still shocks me.

It must have been hard for him to find her scent under all the werewolves scent. I think I have found more respect for him know.

But I think Nathan deserves the Medal of Honor for going above and beyond the call of duty. For chrips sake she killed forty werewolves and ten of then she killed by hand.

Well knife but whatever. I think I should start writing the paper to be sent in right know.

Captain's Pov.

I keep licking Nathan's hand hoping she wakes up soon. When the monitor thingy stopped beeping and the medic went all crazy.

I was worried that she had died. But thankfully he some how revived her. I don't know how those humans do it.

It must be some kind of magic power that they have. I'm pulled out of my thoughts when I feel a finger rubbing my head.

I open my eyes to see one of Nathan's fingers rubbing my nose. I start wagging my tail like mad.

I hope this means she's getting better. I like her she's the nicest human I have ever met. If she died I don't know where I'll end up next.

For all I know these humans could cook me and eat me! Especially that Luke fellow he doesn't seem right.

I bet he had some evil plot on how to get rid of me if Nathan dies. He could feed me to the werewolves or shoot me then feed me to the werewolves.

I'll have to keep an eye out for any evil plans. "Come on Captain it's time to go." Luke says. I whimper and lick Nathan's hand one last time then I with go Luke.

Nathan's Pov.

Dang it I was pulled farther away from the light. Wait the light? That's where you go when you die. Right?

Yes that means I just almost died. Ships and crackers. I just almost died.

I feel a wet tongue licking my hand. It must be Captain's tongue. I try to move my finger and it works.

I rub around his nose. "Come on Captain it's time to go." A voice that sounds a lot like Luke's voice says.

I hear Captain whimper then a feel him lick me one last time. Then I hear the door creak, I assume that means it has been opened.

I hear the door suddenly slam shut. Ow my ears. Luke must be mad and I mean very mad.

But why? "Well you did just almost die." Not subconscious said. "Good point. But what are you?" I ask myself.

"Well that's a bit hard to explain. But I can tell you why we don't feel the mate bond, what I am I can explain later." Not subconscious said.

"Ok but you will tell me later!" I tell her.

" A few hundred years ago. The moon goddess decided to start an experiment. So once a a werewolf couple had twins and they were both boys. The moon goddess decided they would be perfect for her experiment. She made it so the two would be inseparable and share everything. So they were prepared to share a mate. She even changed the mate bond so that the wouldn't kill each other. The boy's wolves were even twins! Once the boys met their mate on their 18 birthday they both fell in love with her at once. And they completed the bond with her. It went so well that all male werewolf twins share a mate.

But then the moon goddess made a mistake. She paired a set of twins with a girl. But you see the girl was a wereowl so basically an owl shifter. You see any kind of bird shifter must have a bird shifter as a soulmate. But the moon goddess didn't do a little research on what kind of supernatural the girl was. When the boys met her they growled mine but she didn't feel the bond at all. So she shifted and flew away.
The boys chased after her but she was too far ahead for them to catch up with her. She landed in a tree and shifted back and cried. She didn't want to be mated to a werewolf especially sense they where the kings to be.
The boys started going crazy without their mate so the moon goddess gave them each a second chance soulmate.

As for the she-owl the moon goddess didn't give her a second chance mate because the birds don't get a second chance because there are so few birds. The she-owl then did many great things. She even fought in the war of chicken feet. She said, "With or without a mate you can be strong."

So without a soulmate we are just as powerful as if we had one." Not subconscious explained.

"What was the she-owl's name?" I ask myself. "Outilissa." Not subconscious said.

"What are we?" I ask. "We are...."