I Gots Poisonality Pt 2

A/n: I didn't bother to edit hah

One thing was clear: Evan — or he guessed it was Davey now — hated his job. No, hated didn't even begin to cover it. He despised his job. Not only whenever someone approached him he got nervous, but when yelling out the headlines he stuttered and mumbled which the other boys said would sell well, turns out they lied. Stuttering your way to the evening paper didn't really get you more than a couple newspapers sold and enough embarrassment to last a lifetime. Jared seemed to be doing well at least. Come to think of it, Evan hadn't even
seen Jared for almost 3 hours.

The thought of losing his brother was mortifying. If Jared was lost who would he look after? Who would he pointedly not tease? Who would he reprimand? But most importantly, who would he look 1000x better than? No one.

Shaking off the thoughts he continued to yell out the trolley strike headline, many people declining his somewhat desperate pleas for someone, anyone to buy a newspaper.

"Sing 'em to sleep why don'cha!"

Evan hands shot to the hem of his shirt as he slowly turned around to face Jer, his nerves buzzing a mile a minute. He was most certainly not in the mood for this, but even as Jer snatched a paper from his hand, he didn't protest.

"EXTRA! EXTRA!" The overly confident newsboy began, wildly waving the newspaper around. "Terrified flight from burning inferno! You heard the story right 'ere!"

Evan furrowed a brow. He never remembered reading about anything like that. As Jer and a man exchanged a newspaper for money, Evan flipped the paper open scanning every headline, sure enough, Jer had lied every single word.

"Thanks mister."

A coin fell into Evan's outstretched hand. "You...y-you just made that up!" Evan looked around for the man to maybe try and make honest money without lying like a street rat.

"No," Jer chuckled. "I said 'e heard it right 'ere, and he did."

Cocky asshole. Evan mentally reprimanded himself for thinking such foul language, but it was true, Jer Kelly was a legendary asshole.

"M-my father told us not to l-lie-"

"Well mine taught me not to starve."

The two teens stared at each other, not at all the friendly or longing stare but the stare of competition. Jer was just daring Evan to lash out, to steal the money and run. Evan, however, was just waiting for the overconfident newsboy to point out how he practically had his thumb in his mouth at this point.

"Just sold my last paper!"

Thank god for annoying brothers. Evan breathed a sigh of relief as he saw the bob of brown hair under a cap emerge from the slowly diminishing evening crowd. "I got one more..." he breathed out, holding up the said paper.

Once again, Jer chuckled. "Sell it or pay for it."

"Hey, give it to me!"

He cringed as the last paper was snatched from his hands. It obviously didn't take long for Jared to adapt the newsboys horrible manners. Yet, Evan watched in awe as he hunched his back and ruffled his hair, approaching a lady.

He opened up with a fake cough. "Buy a pape-" Jared coughed again. "From a poor, orphan boy?"

As if being caught off guard the lady made a face of pure guilt. "Oh you poor thing!" She bent down to Jared, rummaging through her fancy purse. She seemed to be doing quite well financially... she might even be one of the rich folk with a rich husband and everything! "Here, have a dime."