Hot 'n' Cold

Ship: Tree Bros
Musical: Dear Evan Hansen
AU: Soulmate Tattoo AU!!!!1!1!1
Warnings: cursin' not that it warrants a warning, mentions of death, again doesn't really need a warning.
Fluff/Angst/Smut: flufffffffff kinda

—————————————————

Evan Hansen had a soulmate. Well at least he thought he did since he was born with a soulmate tattoo.

Finding your soulmate was like a game of hot and cold. The closer you are to your soulmate, the hotter the tattoo would burn, the further away, the colder the tattoo would get. Evan didn't treat it like a game though. Quite frankly, he hated the idea that there was only one person you'd be destined to be with. You couldn't screw up with the person, you couldn't be sure they'd like you, you couldn't be sure of their gender, and that's what scared him the most. You just never knew. Evan only knew that his soulmate's tattoo was a picture of an orchard at sundown, the trees and sky so detailed for a thin band around the left wrist.

When Evan was born his mom Heidi had claimed it was the most beautiful soulmate tattoo she'd ever seen, apart from her own of course. What once was a beautiful portrait of the night sky was now withered and grey, the only colour being a large red slash across the skin canvas. Death. That's what the slash meant.

Heidi never got to meet her soulmate, and Evan sure hoped his didn't die before that either or at least leave him, just like his dad. He wanted to just meet his soulmate one time and be done with it, no forced relationship, no destiny. He loved someone else, not his soulmate.

———————————————————

Connor wished for only one thing other than death and weed, his soulmate. More importantly, he wanted to tell his soulmate he was really his. He wanted a relationship, he wanted to love with every broken piece of his heart.

Currently, Connor sat at the base of a sycamore tree in the orchard with the one and only Evan Hansen. He sunk further into his hoodie, playing with the ends of his sleeves and his tattoo warming his heart. Evan sat all too close to him, sketching the sky and trees surrounding them, while Connor couldn't stop staring at the tattoo that banded his wrist.

He was gonna do it. He was gonna tell — and hopefully do, later — Evan Hansen. Connor cleared his throat starting with a glorious voice crack. "Hey, Ev?"

The small blonde nodded, turning his attention to Connor. God he couldn't do this.

"I uh..." Connor swallowed, scratching at his neck. "I know you don't like soulmates-"

"Connor stop."

"Yeah but-"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"I know but-"

"CONNOR SHUT UP!"

Connor's mouth snapped shut. He wasn't used to this, where did you even begin? Especially after you'd been told to shut up by the one person who never curses.

Maybe the key wasn't to tell the person, rather, show them. But how?

Connor turned to Evan, unzipping his hoodie. If that wasn't any indication that Connor was up to something, Evan was blind.

———————————————————

Evan's teeth grounded painfully against each other. Just like every time he was around Connor, his tattoo began to burn. Evan was ready to blow a vein and shoot him, preferably in the heart. Well, that is until a hand landed on his paper. "Connor, I-i'm not in the mood for games." He snapped, going to brush Connor away.

He would've, had he not noticed the tattoo banding his wrist. A sunset stretched across in breathtaking clouds, the trees of an orchard standing tall, and at the base, two lovers sat, hand in hand.

Well spruce trees in a greenhouse.

A/n: I lost motivation to finish it properly. But to be fair, I'm working on a monster chapter, it's HUGE. Not gonna lie it's at 8500 words currently so... just hold on a while. Take this shit instead.

-Rich