Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

My arm started throbbing as I walked into school. I ignored the pain and continued walking down the hall. Justin split off with me to go to his locker. I kept a look out for Joe and his friends. The last thing I need is to get stopped by one of them on my way to homeroom.

While I was glancing around, I noticed Rayann down the hall at her locker. I stopped a little confused. A garbage can stood next to her. She began pulling things out and throwing it away. Ray's books were sprawled out on the floor along with some of her locker decorations. It's odd to be cleaning out her locker at this time of year.

Rayann stopped what she was doing and looked at me. We stared at each other for a few seconds. I could tell she wanted to tell me something. I looked away and walked down the hall. Whatever Ray needs to tell me, it can't be that important. The only time she talks to me is when she is terrorizing me. I guess that's the only thing she's good at.

I walked to my homeroom and took a seat at one of the desks. I let out a sigh and put my head down. The cut on my arm made me want to cry in pain. Hopefully it's not getting infected. I'll be in trouble if it is.

Someone sighed loudly and sat at the desk next to me. I turned my head. Eli was resting his head on his arm looking at me. I pulled my sleeve further down and sat up.

"You have all your stuff, right?" Eli asked groggy.

"Yeah, it's in Justin's car." I examined Eli's face and noticed he looked out of it. "Are you okay?" I asked. "You look exhausted."

He sat up groaning. "I couldn't sleep at all last night. I'm going to have to drink something with caffeine when we leave for Chicago." Eli began rubbing his temples.

"We're not going in the same car as your mom?" I asked.

"No. We'll need separate cars when my mom goes to her meeting." Eli yawned and leaned back in his chair. "I don't know how you look so lively." He rubbed his neck. "After what happened yesterday with Charity, I'm shocked you're awake right now."

I shrugged. "I'm use to having a few hours of sleep. Did you see Charity on your way in?"

He shook his head. "I don't think she'll be coming in today. I called her last night. She only mumbled a few random sentences to me and hung up." Eli turned his body toward me and put his arm on the desk. "Whatever happened," Eli whispered leaning in, "she's scared to death about it." He went to go say something else but stopped. He dropped his head down in disappointment.

"What?" I asked.

Eli looked up to me slightly. "For your sake, it's better if you don't contact her. She was really upset at you when I spoke to her."

"Do you think she'll get over it?" I asked.

"That's something that Charity will have to answer."

I sighed and looked up to the ceiling. "I feel so bad." I whispered.

"Savannah, I -."

The teacher began speaking, interrupting Eli. He sat back in his chair properly. Everyone listened to the announcements the teacher had. I was more worried about Charity, then what the teacher was saying. I know Charity is not going to get over this problem easily. With Joe always stalking me, she probably wants to stay as far away as possible. Frankly, I don't blame her for doing so. I wish I could do the same. That's why I don't understand how Eli has stuck with me as long as he has. It's a mystery and a blessing.

After the teacher finished her announcements she began handing out the report cards. One by one people went up and got them. When she called my name my heart dropped in fear. I got up and grabbed the report card from her. I went back to my seat and stared at the envelope on my desk. I didn't dare open it to see my grades.