Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine 

Justin had breakfast on the table the next morning. Ernest was still upset in his room. I've never seen him so upset. Justin tried getting him up but he refused to come out. It was only Justin and I eating breakfast together. We didn't say anything too important. We were more worried about Ernest.

Ernest won't be going to work for a few days so hopefully Justin gets hired somewhere. There's no way we'll survive with Ernest not going to work. If he ever goes back to work. He might be stuck in this depression. I don't feel bad for him though, he got what he deserved.

There was a slam from the door and I looked up at Justin confused. It wasn't Ernest's door but the front door. Someone came in the house? Justin looked over and smiled.

"Hey, I didn't think you'd show up." Justin said standing up.

"Anything for my friend's kids."

I immediately knew who it was. It's Ernest's friend, Henry, who also works with him. They've been friends ever since I was little. He used to come over all the time but after Ernest started working more hours, Henry stopped showing up.

"Thanks so much for coming." Justin said shaking his hand.

"No problem." Henry looked at me and gave me a smile. "Savannah, haven't seen you in forever."

"Yeah, it's been a while."

He set a bag down on the table. Most likely he brought some beer. Henry took out a bag of chips, soda, and, of course, the beer. He'll be the only one drinking that. Ernest should stay away from it for a while.

"How's he doing?" Henry asked.

Justin glanced at the door. "He's distraught. It's best not to overwhelm him with things. So watching some TV would be fine."

"Alright." He nodded.

"Don't give him that." Justin pointed to the beer.

Henry shook his head. "Of course not. Now you two go have fun. I'll be fine here."

"What?" I asked confused.

Go have fun? I thought Justin and I were staying here for the day. Isn't this supposed to be my lazy day? He didn't tell me we were going anywhere.

"I asked Henry to come over so you and I could go out. We haven't had a fun day together in forever. Today it's just going to me and you."

"We have no money." I reminded him.

"You let me worry about that. Go get ready and we'll leave."

I nodded and got up from the table. I went out in the living room and slipped my shoes on. Justin was telling Henry what he should do if something happens. I listened in and out of the conversation. My eyes were caught by a piece of paper lying on the floor. I went over and picked it up. I looked at Justin then quickly opened it up.

The piece of paper had a couple of stains and looked like it was crumbled up countless of times. There was something written on it but too faded out to see. The only thing I was positive of was it's an address. I tried getting rid of the creases to make out the words. My heart dropped as I could make out what it said. The address that was written is the man's house I used to go to. There's no mistaking it.

I crumbled the paper back up and went in the kitchen. I ripped it up and threw it away. Justin didn't take any notice to it. It was a piece of paper of course, there would be no reason to be suspicious of it. The only question that floated in my mind is where did it come from?

"Savvy, are you ready to go?" Justin asked grabbing his keys off the counter.

I nodded.

"We'll see you later Henry." Justin said and waved to me to follow.