Chapter Thirty-Three

I rubbed my temples as I sat at the kitchen table. I had this pounding headache that would not go away. It feels like it's getting worse. Justin was sitting at the table with me finishing his breakfast. I got up early and had breakfast already. My strength is coming back little by little. Too bad it will disappear by gym class.

"What's wrong with you?" Justin asked.

I looked at him. I was shocked he said something to me. "I have a headache." I whispered.

"Take some medicine for it." He stood up from the table and stuck his bowl in the sink. He opened the cupboard and grabbed a small pill bottle. "Here," he threw it to me. "Take at least two. I'll go start the car." Justin grabbed his bag and walked out of the house.

I smiled to myself. Justin still might be mad at me, but I know he's starting to ease up. As long as I don't do anything to upset him again, I think things will go back to the way they used to be. I opened the bottle and took out two pills. I got up from the table and grabbed a glass from the cupboard. Justin honked the horn as I poured some water in my glass. I rolled my eyes and quickly swallowed them. I grabbed my book bag and ran outside to the car.

It was cold and dark out. It was one of those days where you feel like lying around and doing nothing. Unfortunately I have to go to school, make up my test at lunchtime, and do double the homework tonight. I wasn't expecting to skip school yesterday. I wanted to get my test over with. I hardly remember what I studied from Tuesday.

"Are you still going to Chicago with Eli and his mom tomorrow?" Justin asked.

I glanced at him. "Yeah," I said and looked out the window. "I have to pack when I come home."

"I have to work tomorrow so I won't get a chance to say goodbye. Make sure you don't talk to strangers, wander off, or do anything stupid. Stay with Eli while you're in the city. I don't want to get a call from him saying something happened to you."

"I didn't think you would care if something did." I whispered.

"I'm still your brother, of course I care. I'm still upset, but that doesn't mean I hate you. Enjoy yourself this weekend. You'll probably get an ear full from dad when you get back."

"I don't know why. He's the one who allowed me to go."

"I don't know either, but I'm warning you ahead of time. Be prepared Sunday."

I sighed. I'll have an amazing weekend and then I'll be coming home to an angry dad. I can't have fun without someone making me feel guilty and ruining it. Maybe Ernest will change his mind and forget about it. I highly doubt it. Tuesday was the first time he met Eli and Kimberly. He's going to want to ask me questions about them. Why he doesn't ask me before I leave Friday is beyond me.

Justin pulled into the parking lot and parked his car. I got out and glanced around. No one I knew was near. Justin rushed ahead of me and went into the school. I dragged my feet as I walked in the building. My books were already in my bag so I went straight to class. No one had stopped me on my way to the room. The teacher was sitting at his desk and was shocked when I had come in so early. I ignored it and took a seat in the back.

Nick was sitting in front of me with his hood up. I'm amazed he got here first. He's trying to hide his face from everyone. I wonder what his parents said about it. I feel bad he got hurt because of me. If I was just a few seconds earlier to class, I would have been able to avoid Joe that day.

I leaned forward and poked Nick in the back. He flinched and turned around. He pulled his sunglasses down slightly. The bruises on his face looked worse today. It made me feel awful.