HongTai, TaiPan, and TaiViet

A/N: Guess what? I need ideas. If there are ships anyone wants me to write about just leave them in the comments...

So, HongTai. As of right now, I don't really have an opinion on it since it's a rather new ship to me.

Historical relations between Hong Kong and Taiwan are on a high level. Before 1842, both regions were part of the Qing dynasty. Since 2010, the relationship between Hong Kong and the ROC is managed through the ECCPC (Hong Kong-Taiwan Economic and Cultural Cooperation and Promotion Council) and the ECCC (Taiwan-Hong Kong Economic and Cultural Cooperation Council).Meanwhile, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Hong Kong is the representative office of the Republic of China in Hong Kong.In addition, Taiwan's relations with Hong Kong is also conducted by the Mainland Affairs Council, although not all regulations applicable to mainland China are automatically applied to those territories.

Basically, Hong Kong and Taiwan have a complicated history and there's tons of committees or whatever and I have no idea what they all do lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In canon, Taiwan and Hong Kong have never spoken, though this is mainly because both of them are smaller characters. I feel like Taiwan and Hong Kong would be good friends in canon, even if their relationship isn't really shown in the anime.

While I may not ship HongTai because of TaiViet, it's not a bad ship and I do like it.

Moving on to TaiPan. Japan and Taiwan have been trading since the 1600s. After the Japan-China Joint Communiqué in 1972, Japan no longer recognizes the Republic of China (aka Taiwan) as the sole official government of China. However, Japan has maintained non-governmental, working-level relations with the ROC.

In canon, it is shown that Taiwan expresses a preference for Japan, which disappoints China. She even went so far as to confront China about his treatment of Japan. In the strip Ilha Formosa ~Beautiful Island~, Japan is shown hanging out with Taiwan and discussing Taiwanese fortune-telling, and during the Halloween 2011 event, she is excited to show Japan her costume. 

So again, I don't ship TaiPan (giripan for life people), but it's a cute ship.

And finally, TaiViet. I actually do ship TaiViet, unlike HongTai and TaiPan. I think that TaiViet is underrated and I wish that it was a more popular ship. 

Canonically, they have been shown together. Taiwan calls Vietnam a "cutie" in volume 4 and requests to have a picture taken with her. The photo studio retouches the photograph so that their eyes are larger, which Vietnam finds baffling and, in contrast, Taiwan finds cute. I also think that Taiwan and Vietnam's relationship would work out well, with Vietnam's serious tendencies would balance out Taiwan's cheerful and adventurous personality. I wish that their relationship was more popular, and I wish that it was shown in the anime.

As for history, Taiwan and Vietnam do have relations. They are technically conducted on an unofficial level, but this has not stopped bilateral visits and significant flows of migrants and investment capital between Taiwan and Vietnam. Taiwan has been the largest source of foreign direct investnment in Vietnam since 2006. Both countries maintain representative offices; Taiwan is represented by branches of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Hanoi and Ho Minh City, while Vietnam is represented by the Veitnam Economic and Cultural Office in Taipei.

Overall, I do ship TaiViet and I find it quite adorable.

HongTai: 7/10

TaiPan: 6.5/10

TaiViet: 8/10