twenty eight. hospital tubes and bathtubs

Jack leaned against the pale, white wall that seemed to consume the hospital hallway.

There was no color other than the egg-shell one and it made his stomach queasy.

Well, either that made his stomach flip or the smell.

He hated hospitals.

Ever since he was young, he's never liked even the mention of the sick building, deeming it dark and depressing at the tender age of ten.

The look on the patients as various tubes stuck in every direction of any hole possible in their body made him feel that the nurses and doctors did more harm than good.

He was grateful that he's never had any serious injuries that resulted in a hospital visit.

Or else he'd have to have the talk with the many entryways in his body.

Well, unless you consider being sent to the hospital just to be laughed at and given burn cream for making a toothpaste beard and mustache combo as a serious injury.

He sighed and ran a hand across his face, his mind wandering back to the scene that nearly unfolded an hour ago.

The one where he was inches away from Zoë's lips, daring him to meet them with his own.

Jack felt bad for thinking of such a thing when her boyfriend laid in the hospital, with possibly a tube or two in his body.

But he couldn't help it.

And maybe Ashton deserved it.

Maybe he deserved to be in the hospital.

Either him or Zoë, seeing as she's always injured from cleaning.

The dark-haired boy wasn't stupid, he knew something was up with the girl and Ashton was likely the culprit.

Besides them getting into arguments, which all couples do, he knew there was something deeper.

It was either Ashton was putting his hands on the girl or Zoë purposely bruised herself so she can appear to be a victim when in actuality, she's the one abusing him.

Jack wasn't sure.

And if it's one thing he hated, it was uncertainty.

Which brings him back to why Zoë and him were about to kiss, the action leaving him in a weird limbo.

He didn't like it.

But how was he going to address it at a time like that?

Jack knew he couldn't and that's why he had no other choice but to be patient and wait as the girl returned.

The door to the waiting room peeled open, instantly grabbing Jack's attention and causing him to stand.

"Zo?" He called out softly, watching as the girl quietly appeared from the other end of the door.

His heart fell to his feet once he noticed the fresh tears escaping her eyes, said feet scurrying to the girl and arms opening to envelope her.

Zoë collapsed into his warm embrace, allowing herself to sob into the fabric of his shirt, and completely let go.

"I'm right here, it's okay." Jack soothed as he gently ran his hand up and down her back.