twelve. heavy makeup and an idea

Zoë stared at herself in the mirror, after applying the heaviest amount of foundation she's ever worn.

Her eyes moved down to the turtle neck she was forced to wear.

Those same cloudy eyes traveled back up to her reflection, tears threatening to escape, which they did, softly down her cheeks.

Flashbacks of the previous night crowded her mind and took over her thoughts.

It was the most physical Ashton has been yet.

He didn't do the usual aggresive handling.

He didn't pull her hair until she felt it in her roots for weeks.

Nope.

He put his hands on her forreal this time.

Zoë grazed her cheek, the one he slapped, with the back of her hand.

She could still feel the sting.

Her fingers went south to the olive turtleneck, tugging it down a bit to expose the slight finger imprints and cuts on her neck that Ashton left.

And to make it worse, he didn't react like he used to after he did what he did.

Usually he'd be begging for her forgiveness and being his usual sweet self.

But this time was different.

He stayed distant and didn't even think to talk to the girl the whole night.

Well, that whole night plus that very morning she stood in the mirror, preventing herself from sobbing to prevent tear streaks.

Zoë quickly dabbed her watered eyes and wet cheeks with a face tissue.

As she threw them away in the trash, Ashton entered the bathroom, making the girl flinch when she notices his prescence.

"Hey, babe." Zoë greeted quietly, but enough for his ears to catch. Which he did, but ignored and proceeded to the toilet.

The girl felt her heart falling into her feet. Never has he ever ignored her before.

She watched silently as he finished his stream and zipped up his jeans.

He flushed the toilet and side eyed the girl, no expression on his face, stepping towards the sink.

"I need to wash my hands." He said boredly. Zoë kindly scooted to the left, giving him access to the sink.

"Didn't mean to take up the entire bathroom counter. You know how I am." Zoë joked with a small laugh. But Ashton continued to lather his hands and rinse, not even glancing in the girl's direction.

Her heart was currently in her toes.

She was so desperate to get the man she's been with for many years to at least give her a full look.

And she wasn't going to stop until he did.

"You know, babe, I was thinking maybe this skirt is too much. What do you think?" Zoë asked, hoping it'd get him talking.

Ashton turned the knob off, giving her a quick look through the mirror and turning to face the girl. He stood upright and crossed his arms over his chest.

"How long will your foundation stay on for?" Ashton asked, once again disregarding her previous words.

To say she was stunned was more of an understatement.

She was hurt to the core...but what softened the blow was the fact that, for the first time that day, he noticed her.

So, she took it and ran away with it.