twenty three. deja-vu and night drives

Zoë felt like a case of deja-vu was washing over her.

Once again, she was in the passenger seat, tears dried up, with Jack Gilinsky driving in silence to a place unknown.

Once again, he was the Knight and Shining armor, so to speak. He was the brave warrior who saved the damsel in distress.

Once again, she needed to be saved, like in those stories your mother reads you before you go to sleep.

Once again, she found herself glad she was able to be saved by the boy.

They managed to escape the house without anyone noticing. Given, they were all sleep. Either way, she was happy they left without being questioned by her bestfriend, or worse, Ashton's bestfriend.

So, as she sat in his car, watching the various cars and trees, followed by a few streetlights pass by, the girl felt content. Of course, the argument with Ashton was still fresh on her brain and heart, which stung with just the mere memory.

However, it was okay...at least for right now.

Jack sat in the opposite seat, eyes focused on the road and mind focused on everything else.

He didn't know what he was doing.

He didn't know how to go about helping Zoë.

Yes, he knew it was necessary and obviously, as a friend, you're obligated to console your friends when they're in need.

Yet, he didn't know what he was consoling or even why he was consoling the girl.

Jack knew the bare minimum of the situation between Ashton and Zoë. He only knew they had some sort of disagreement that involved Ashton's father and then they had an agrument which led to her coming over Cameron's and leaving the guy in the dust.

He had a intuition that told him there was probably more to the story but he was sure Zoë wasn't up to discuss anything further pertaining to what had happened.

And maybe Jack was grateful she wasn't because he'd hate to turn the car around and pay a visit to the golden boy.

Because he certainly will, no hesitation.

But maybe, maybe being in the car with Zoë, knowing he's the reason she's staying strong and not breaking down in that passenger's seat was slightly better than breaking Ashton's jaw.

"Where are we going?" Zoë asked finally, glancing over at the boy then out the windshield. Her voice was still small and barely audible over the wind. Jack hated it. She sounded so defenseless.

He sighed and turned his blinker on. "I'm not sure. Why? Do you have any suggestions?." Jack made the turn and took a peek over at the girl before bringing his attention back to the road.

Zoë worried her bottom lip and scanned the unknown, quiet LA life outside the glass window.

She didn't know how to answer him because...well...she didn't really have an answer to give him.

She didn't want to go home nor did she want to stay at Cameron's after what went down.

Zoë just knew she wanted to get away.

But the question was...to where?

"I don't know." The girl mumbled, sniffling and glancing out her window. Jack chuckled lightly and shrugged, looking over at the passenger's seat.

"Well, I guess we'll just drive where the wind takes us then." He replied, raising his brows, disguising the question as a statement.

Zoë moved her head in his direction, a small smile on her face, one that said 'thank you', nodding in agreement.