twenty seven. broken bones and broken hearts

Ashton hates hospitals.

He hates the smell, the cold air, the unknown germs swimming in the air, he could go on and on.

But the point is, he is miserable laying in bed B, room number 323.

The boy hasn't stopped huffing and puffing since he's gotten there.

What he thought was a simple emergency room visit, hoping to get a splint to keep his hand in place, turned into an admission to the third floor.

To make it worse, they wanted to do x-rays to ensure his hand was broken.

Which...guessing by the puffiness, redness, and slight radiating pain, he'd guess it was, in fact, broken.

And come to think of it, that's probably what punching a brick wall results to.

Which is exactly what the boy did when he made it out of the bar and into an alley, hitting the very near thing to his left...the brick wall.

Later that night he sulked in his sorrows and soaked it in epsom salt, hoping to get the swelling down.

The next day he noticed it didn't do much and his hand actually looked worse.

Later that night...very late, he made a visit to the hospital and the rest is history.

Now, Ashton is forced to be in the last place he wanted to be, in a two-bed room, a curtain separating him and the annoying, talkative old man in A-bed.

"Sunny, can you click that nurse button, I've had far too many prunes this morning." Jimmy, the sixty-eight year old man who shattered his knee chuckled as he awaited the boy's answer.

Ashton smacked his head back against the pillow, making a pained expression, sighing before he gave the man an answer.

"Jim, you've got a button on your bed." He explained, in hopes that the old man would leave him alone.

Jimmy made a disapproving noise then answered.

"I don't know, Sunny. I mean, I had a good handful or two of those prunes and the nurse gave me some laxatives so I'm sure if I bend too hard then, and I hate to say this, but I just might poo--" Jimmy began to carry on, so much so that Ashton pulled the sides of his pillow to his ears to block him out but to no avail.

So, he stopped the man before he could go any further, repeatedly saying, "I'm calling the nurse." as he clicked the red nurse button ten times.

He really hated this place.

"Oh, thank you, Sunny. I know I'm getting on your nerves." Jimmy chuckled, bringing a sigh from Ashton's lips, smacking his forehead with the beige remote in his hand. "I'm sorry--"

"No, you're okay, Jim." Ashton mumbled, barely audible for the middle aged man's ears but somehow he heard.

He can hear the older man chuckle lightly then say "okay" before audibly shifting in his bed and Ashton could only hope he wasn't adjusting to let one rip.

"Ya know, Sunny, I've told you why I was in here. Why are you here? I heard em say that hand is pretty busted." The nosey man asked, technically answering his own question.

Ashton knew the old man was pretending to be resting, secretly listening in as he got admitted, the nurse explaining why he's there and what the doctor will soon be doing.