eighteen. black ariel and white fathers

"Yes, mom, I've been eating my greens." Ashton rolls his hazel pair, a smile on his face as he talks to his mom over the phone.

She had called and checked in on him, which meant she bugged him about eating right because he's not as young as he used to be and carried on about her yoga classes.

Ashton loved his mom very much but sometimes she was just too much.

She hummed on the other end of the reciever. "Well, good because you're not as young as you used to be, baby boy, so you need to start eating right." The woman repeated as if it was a mantra, bringing a sigh from Ashton's lips.

He headed over to the kitchen towards the refrigerator. "Mum, I'd be a rich man for each time you've reminded me of eating better." He opened the cold compartment and grabbed a can of whipped cream, eagerly grabbing it and tipping his head back.

"Yeah, I do that because you love doing things like snatching whipped cream out of the fridge and spraying it down your throat." His mom scoffed, hitting the nail on the head.

Ashton freezes midway, only able to catch half of the white fluff in his mouth. He swallowed the contents of the Reddi-whip can then placed it on the counter, looking left and right to find the cameras his mom could've set up in the house.

She was a bit on the crazy side so he wouldn't be surprised.

"Uh, n-no. I wasn't--" Ashton attempted to lie, sighing in defeat when he heard his mother's laughter in his ear.

"I know you like a book, Fletcher." Anne giggled. "Zoë must not be cooking for you." She nosily implied, making the boy roll his eyes.

It's not that Anne didn't think Zoë was good enough to date her son. Rather, she thought no one was as good as she was to her son.

When Zoë got that vibe from her when they first met, she couldn't blame her for feeling such a way.

She did raise him for eighteen years, that included bathing, feeding, housing, just all around caring for her son.

Zoë couldn't match that even of she wanted to.

But Ashton found it annoying and almost unbearable.

A sly comment here, an invading question there, he was growing tired of it.

However, he didn't voice too much on it because he didn't want to upset his mother. And also, when Zoë brought up why she wasn't so bothered by it, he softened on the mattered.

Still didn't make it any less annoying, though.

"Mom, Zo--" Ashton paused when he heard the front door open, stepping away from the entrance of the kitchen towards the dining room area. His voice quietened. "She's doing a great job, mum, all around." His eyes moved to the woman he called his girl, following her as she hung her bag on the coat rack.

"It's me that needs to step it up." The boy mumbled, most likely intended for only himself to hear but of course that was impossible with Mama Irwin.

Anne let off an amused hum, one that sparked Ashton's curiousity, until she spoke her next few words.

"Well, I'm glad to hear she's treating my boy to his liking. But, I have to admit I didn't just call you to be that mom." Anne admitted, causing her son to furrow his brows.

"What else did you call for?"

"Your brother, Luke, is hosting a private family get-together this evening with Tai to celebrate their marriage." She explained, joy evident in her words.