twenty six. late night screams and phone calls

inspo. james blake x radio silence

Jack was awakened to the sound of a small scream. He was quick to toss the covers off his body and sit at the edge of his couch, the crinkle deepening in his forehead.

He was confused for maybe a few seconds more until he realized there's only one other person in the house with him.

And that's when he shot off the couch, racing towards the stairs, and mentally, maybe even physically, preparing for whatever may be behind his bedroom door.

He hesitated as he reached for the handle, because what if she didn't want him to come in and handle her emotions herself. It seemed logical since she didnt open up about what happened with her and Ashton.

And it's not like he's asking her or even expecting her to one day explain what's really going down.

It's just, well, she didn't even want to talk that over with the boy, at least not yet, if ever.

So, what made him think she was comfortable with this, him breaking the door down just to get to her?

He hated that he thought every through at the last minute, because at that last minute he had already twisted the knob and peeled it open slightly.

"Zo?" Jack called out softly, regretting his final decision as his question lingered in the air without a reply.

It was darker than ever, the blinds being pulled closed, everything in his room unplugged or covered with a blanket or an item of clothing.

Jack was confused, to say the least.

"I'm sorry." Zoë's soft voice sounded from his bed, his head moving in that direction, quickly closing the door behind him.

He shook his head, clearing his mind from his tiredness, since it was three in the morning, and the fact he was only sporting a pair of boxers, due to his constant warmness, and focused on the somber girl sitting up in his bed.

"You good, ma. I wanted to make sure you were okay." Jack replied, stepping closer to the bed before sitting at the bottom end of it.

Zoë blinked a few times, her eyebrows coming together as she turned to his direction, though he didn't catch her expression due to the darkness.

"Huh? No--well, I'm sorry for that, I had a nightmare but I was talking about unplugging your stuff and covering both your alarm clock and lava lamp." She explained, biting at her bottom lip.

Jack raised his brows in realization and let off a small chuckle before waving a hand in the opposite direction. "No--you don't have to apologize for that, I'll just charge it along with the two-night stay." He said jokingly, hearing her smile as she giggled at his words, sighing as her laughter died down.

"I'm sorry, again. I just--I don't know why I stayed here another night--I--I don't know." Zoë said, unable to voice exactly how she felt.

It's just that...it's complicated.

She knows she needs to leave and get back home...or somewhere but she can't move her legs towards the door for some reason.

Well, she knew the reason, it's because she felt so at ease in Jack's home. There was no pressure whatsoever.

It was light like the air.