twenty five. a hole in the wall and a punch to the jaw

Ashton was a mess.

In every sense possible, emotional, mental, physical, the boy was a literal mess.

And it's only been ten hours.

Ten hours since their argument.

Ten hours since he had that pain in his stomach.

Ten hours, twenty five minutes, and thirty three seconds since he watched the love of his life walk out their door...and counting.

Usually Ashton wouldn't sweat if the girl walked out to the porch and cool off, probably cry, but eventually she'd come back inside.

But not this time...no, this time she actually did not want to come back.

Roughly, eight hours ago, he learned that, that she ran away and didn't want to be saved. (Irony)

Or at least she didn't want Ashton to save her.

No, this time she didn't want to come back.

And that's what ate at Ashton's insides as he sat up in bed with bloodshot red eyes, tears at the brim of his lids, and a pounding headache.

He didn't eat.

He didn't sleep.

It hurt to think.

He couldn't eat.

He couldn't sleep.

He didn't want to think.

Ashton was like a car out of fuel. His body, emotions, heart, was on empty.

The boy breathed in, throwing his head back and rubbing his face.

Yeah, he was a mess.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, glancing over at the clock then to his phone.

Ashton knew he shouldn't pick the phone up and dare to unlock it, forcing him to view his home wallpaper which displayed a happy Zoë, shyly covering half his shot, but he did anyway.

His jaw clenched and he had blink away his tears, proceeding to check his call log, to assure he hasn't had any missed call.

Though, he knew if he had any he would've seen in on his lock screen, but maybe he reset his call settings.

Seventy six in parentheses appeared under Zoë's name, each call receiving its own personal voice message.

One's that started off angry but soon grew desperate, begging for the girl to return home.

But for some reason the boy thought maybe the girl had fallen asleep after his little unexpected visit, despite the lingering doubt in the back of his mind, he decided to call once more.

Just in case she hadn't seen his last seventy six calls or heard his voicemails.

The boy sat with the same eagerness running through his veins as the previous seventy six times, biting at his bottom lip as the first few rings sounded through his ears.