Chapter 25- The Wicked and the Divine

It's a classic trope of mob movies. Rich, high-rolling gangster takes a small-town kid under his wing. Small town kid is ushered into an intoxicating but dangerous life of crime.

-----

I sat at the piano my father put in my room before he died and played a piece Veronica wants me to play

I sat at the piano my father put in my room before he died and played a piece Veronica wants me to play. I missed a key and groaned. I started again and got almost halfway through it when my door slammed opened causing me to jump. "Can you stop that incessant playing!" My mother snapped and I groaned.

"I have to practice." I told her and turned to her, "If you don't like it don't listen" My mother held a glare, as she said "Hope Sofia Blossom, I'm this close to putting you out on the street" I rolled my eyes and turned back to the keys. "Do it" I said challenging her and started to play again.

Veronica wants me to play at her confirmation and I agreed, but she gave me a folder of songs I've never played before, so I have to learn and then memorize. Church songs and then other soft and slow songs. I continued to play until I missed a key and groaned, before starting over. I continued and kept trying but every time I messed up I pushed myself harder. Finally getting one song down I moved on to another.

---

I hummed the tune as I played it over and over in my mind. My phone buzzed and I turned to see Jordan calling me. I hit decline and continued to play. "Sissy" I heard and turned to see Cheryl bringing me a tray. She came over and set the tray on the side table next to me, and sat down beside me. "How are you doing?" she asked and I sighed.

"Between mother, her harlot callings, and my phone I can barely concentrate and then I miss a key and-" I trailed off groaning rubbing my temples. "Don't beat yourself up, Sissy. I brought you a sandwich" She told me and stood up before leaving me there. I leaned over and took half of the sandwich and took a bite before setting it back on the plate, and continued to play.

---

On the day of Veronica's confirmation, I had my dress on as I curled my hair.

"You should take your things with you" My mother's voice called out and I turned to her, "Why mommy?" I asked, "I've seen you with that

"You should take your things with you" My mother's voice called out and I turned to her, "Why mommy?" I asked, "I've seen you with that... Serpent boy." she snapped, "You won't be coming back, ever." She told me with a strict tone of voice. "Get your things now because later they will be fuel for the fire" She turned and walked away, but I turned and put a couple outfits in my bag, and then hid things in Cheryl's room.