Chapter 13- The Sweet Hereafter

It was the ultimate cliffhanger. Clifford Blossom had killed himself. But why? Life's not an Agatha Christie novel. It's a lot messier. Turns out, maple syrup was a front for his true business. Transporting heroin from Montreal on his trucks.

A narrative quickly emerged. That Jason Blossom learned about dear old Dad's drug running and threatened to expose the truth. Which led to Jason's abduction at the hands of a Southside Serpent named Mustang. And then to Jason's murder at the hands of his father.

Clifford killed Mustang to cover his tracks, making it look like he'd overdosed, and tried to implicate a rival businessman, Hiram Lodge, as having masterminded the whole thing.  And, oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Mr. Blossom threatened Jughead's life, so that his dad would confess to pulling the trigger, even though all he did was clean up the mess. And he would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for a group of pesky kids who uncovered the truth.

Even as Clifford Blossom, consumed by guilt and shame, took the coward's way out... Jason's murder had revealed some dark truths none of us were too eager to face. Especially not Mayor McCoy, who wanted every last vestige of corruption crushed like a snake under a boot heel.

-----------------

I shot up breathing heavily "Hope?" I heard and turned to see Jordan half asleep

I shot up breathing heavily "Hope?" I heard and turned to see Jordan half asleep. "Are you okay?" he asked and I nodded. He pulled me to him and whispered, "He can't get you anymore" as he rubbed my back and fell back asleep.

When morning came I walked to school from the South Side.

People stared as I walked down the hall

People stared as I walked down the hall. I stopped at my locker and opened it to see a sign that read 'BROTHER MURDERER'. I gulped and grabbed it riping it and threw it away.

I went to the bathroom and a paper was taped to the mirror. I looked at it to see the bright red words. HOPE BLOSSOM KILLED HER BROTHER. then under it said, "in all fairness in love and war she should have been the victim instead of Jason."

Tears came to my eyes and I ripped it down and crumbled it up. I threw it in the trash as I walked away.

When lunch came around I sat there as I was avoided like a plage. Chuck came over and sat across from me. "Hey princess" he spoke and I smiled softly, "Hey." Chuck smiled, "hows it been for you?" he asked and I sighed. "I've had better." We ate in silence after that, and then Ethel and Kimmy walked over.

"Any more secrets about Murder you're hiding?" Kimmy asked and I rolled my eyes. "My dad tried to kill himself but you literally murdered your brother," Ethel said and I bit my lip. I stood up and threw my tray on the ground. People stared as I just walked away.

All day long I've been getting notes and signs are posted about blaming me for killing Jason. I had so much guilt and hurt that it's becoming too much. I just want it all to go away.

I sat in a booth at Pop's at 2:30 in the morning as I wrote letters to Cheryl, Jordan, Jughead, Archie, and Betty and I then wrote one to FP. At school the next day I printed out the letters and put them in envelopes.

I dressed in my white outfit that I last saw Jason in, and walked to Sweetwater river

I dressed in my white outfit that I last saw Jason in, and walked to Sweetwater river. I sent a text to Archie.

'Thanks for trying. I'm going to be with Jason now'

I walked out to the middle of the iced-over river. I have a crowbar as I beat at the ice. "HOPE. HOPE PLEASE" Archie yelled out. I turned to see Archie, Veronica, Betty, and Jughead. "Just come to the shore and we'll figure this out together, okay?" Veronica yelled.

I heard it cracking under my feet and then I fell under. The freezing water engulfed me. I held my breath as long as I could. I looked down to see Jason's face. He had a bullet hole in his forehead and reached out to me. I screamed and water filled my mouth. It went down my throat and everything went black.

I woke up spitting the water out. and they all stood over me. Archie helped me up and they took me to the river line. Jughead brought me into a hug and squeezed me tightly. "You scared the crap out of me" he mumbled and I started to cry. "I'm sorry."

-------

I sat infront of the fire and cuddled into the fluffy blanket Veronica gave me. "Hey. Hot chocolate? With a little splash of peppermint liqueur." Veronica said handing me a mug. I smiled, "Thank you." Veronica smiled back, "No problem. Are you warm enough?" she asked and I nodded. I sipped the Hot Chocolate, as Hermione came in.

"What is she doing here?" Veronica turned to her and whispered "She got in an accident. And she needed help, so I brought her here." I bit my lip and said, "I'll just warm up and go home." Hermione then turned back to Veronica "Fine, Ronnie. Let's go. I'll give you a ride to the Jubilee." Veronica declined, "Already got one with Archie, Lady Macbeth."

When I was warm enough I took a taxi to the south side. I walked into Jordan's house and he stood there waiting for me. "Hey are you okay?" he asked and I nodded. He pulled me into a hug and kissed my head. "Move in" I heard behind us and we both turned seeing Jordan's mom Jessie. "Really?" I asked and she smiled.

She came over to us and placed a hand on the small of my back. "I love seeing my little Sweet Pea happy. Plus with your home situation move in baby," she told me and I looked at Jordan who nodded. "Alright," I said and Jordan cheered and grabbed me by the waist and lifted me up making me squeal and laugh.