20 | defence

20 | defence  

it's what I want

I got a job! I text my mom immediately to brag as Axel drives us back home, and I take all the credit for my success instead of giving into my suspicion that Axel totally somehow knew the manager

I got a job! I text my mom immediately to brag as Axel drives us back home, and I take all the credit for my success instead of giving into my suspicion that Axel totally somehow knew the manager. Axel curls up on the couch when we get back with some Stephen King novel he bought while I had an interview, with Luci at his feet, as I fill out some paperwork to take into the store before Axel brings me along to his self-defence class. 

I'm more nervous than I thought I'd be: not just about the job, on top of school, but about Axel introducing me to even more of the people he's gotten to know while I was back in California. Also because I talked a big game in the car before and he's expecting me to participate and be good at defending myself. 

I chuckle to myself when I glance up from the kitchen table, Axel's arm drooped over the couch, the book now on the floor while he sleeps with his mouth wide open. His other arm lays across his stomach as he breathes calmly, and softly, and the cuteness is too much that I have to get up and wander over. 

"Hey," I whisper, bending down to stroke his cheek, down to his scruffy jaw, placing little kisses all over his face. He opens his eyes slightly and groans, lifting his arms so that I can crawl on top of him, and closes them around my body. I rest my head on his shoulder and kick out my feet, nudging Luci and mumbling, "my turn." 

The puppy growls a little and leaps off the couch, and I swear he gives me an annoyed look before curling up beside the fireplace. 

Axel chuckles noiselessly, his body shaking against mine as he holds me tighter, and I snuggle into him. 

・・・

We get takeout before going to the gym - living our best, healthy lives - and park on the street. Axel comes around to my side to open my door and we rush over to the bookstore in the rain to drop off my paperwork, and back across the street to the gym. Axel leads me inside with his reassuring, comforting hand on the small of my back. The small gym, although kind of shabby, is brightly lit and welcoming.

There's a couple boxing rings, and a line of punching bags against the far wall of what appears to be the main room and an actual workout area with equipment behind the rings. The front part of the gym is a large empty area with floor padding, and a couple people sit on the floor already, stretching, or texting. 

Someone notices Axel, and waves, jumping up to meet us. 

"Hey!" Axel greets, shrugging off his coat, and showing me where I can hang mine and put my boots away too. 

"What's up? Who's this?" 

Axel helps me out of my coat, and says, "this is my girlfriend, Aviana," giving me a little smile before turning to hang up our coats. "Avs, this is Juno. They're my teaching partner."