22 | friends with Axel?

b e a c h

Will walks into my room

"No," I tell him, glancing to the door.

He's followed by Jem, and then Axel, who I was hoping had left, but now stands in the doorway of my room in a tank and swimming trunks. "We're going to the beach," Axel explains, as if I couldn't already tell. His eyes move up my stockinged feet, to my bare legs, black, jean shorts, and a worn out Metal Mulisha t-shirt that has more than one hole in it, and a critical look appears on his brow.

"Avi," Jem runs to me on my couch, little floaties already around her arms, her swimsuit underneath her skirt. She tugs on my hand. "Let's go, Avi, let's go! Axe said you were coming!"

I frown and glance to Axel. "Did he now?"

He winks at me.

"Fine," I give in, and slide my laptop from my lap into the cracks of my cushions. "I am not going in the water though."

"Boring," Will teases, and jingles his car keys.

"Beach day!" Jem screams and tugs me from the sofa, and I, lazily moving my legs, follow her, Will, and Axel out of the room. I lift Jem into my arms when we reach the stairs, because she stops, almost as if they're a huge cliff she might run over. "I love the beach!" She tells me as I carry her down the stairs, our brothers already out the door.

"You guys wanna come?" Jem and I stop at the living room where Mom and Dad drink coffee and read together.

They both smile up at us. "Maybe later," Mom says kindly, and blows Jem a kiss.

She giggles nervously, her hands up to her face. It makes me wonder if her mother has ever blown her a kiss, or has done anything with her. The kid is only three years old and she's excited by any normal sort of motherly gesture.

I hold her tighter in my arms and wave goodbye to my parents, following the boys outside in to surprisingly warm January weather. "Do you have towels?" I ask. "A car seat for Jem?"

"Yep," Will jumps into the drivers seat.

"Yep," Axel repeats, holding his arms out to Jem. He takes her into his strong arms and asks me, "do you want shotgun?"

I shake my head. "Will's annoying."

"Hey," a yell comes from the pickup, "I heard that."

I laugh. Axel sets Jem into a carseat that he placed in the back of Will's pickup truck. "You good?" He asks her, tightening the seatbelt around her body.

"Awesome!" She smiles. Her eyes gleam with excitement.

I laugh and move around the other side. "Alright!" I hop in and cheer. "Let's go."