32 | birthday wishes

I wish that no matter where we go in life, 

and no matter what happens, 

we'll end up together. 

Dad's setting the picnic table in our backyard

Dad's setting the picnic table in our backyard. Jem's playing with Zelda, and they bark and giggle together. Will's barbecuing: corn, vegan hotdogs, and other veggies, and since its his birthday, no one complains. Plus, veggie hotdogs are actually dope. 

Mom's inside helping grandma finish off the cake and preparing a fruit plate, and I just keep running things from inside to the backyard. I set the buns on the table and kiss daddy's cheek, and he smiles and kisses me back. My parents have gotten Will a birthday present already: a vegan leather watch, a hiking backpack, new clothes and a steering wheel cover since his is worn out. 

They said they're giving me my gift tonight. I don't understand why I have to wait so long. In all honesty, I'd rather they give me money like grandma did. I didn't ask for anything, so I have no clue what they could be getting me. 

When I rush back inside to grab the fruit plate, I'm almost knocked over by Axel. 

He grins and grabs my shoulders to keep me from falling. "Hey, sweets," he mumbles quietly. 

"Hi," I say shyly, trying to pull myself together. I'm so nervous around him, especially with my family around. 

"Alright, the dogs are on," Will says loudly behind me, closing the barbecue and turning to Axel and I. I step away from my boyfriend, even though Will knows everything, but he doesn't tease me, just greets Axel with their handshake. "Sup man?" 

He nods. "Not much." He shakes his keys, "just got here." 

Will grins. "Cool." He turns to yell at Dad, "hey, Pops, Axel's here." 

I blush. This isn't awkward. 

"Be there in a sec," Dad yells back, sets down his last fork, and grabs Jem and Zelda. 

"Hey, Avs, come inside for a sec," he tells me, passing us with the two and setting them down. 

Jem and Zelda race into the living room and continue playing with Zelda's new toys. The stuffed panda is her favourite. I eye Axel suspiciously when he waits behind me to close the door after I follow my dad and brother inside, but Axel doesn't meet my gaze. 

"Alright, Avi," Will turns back to me, and goes behind me to cover my eyes. 

"Oh," I sigh, "that's what's happening. You were freaking me out. Is this from you and mom and dad?" 

"Maybe," Will mumbles, and we walk ahead, and he yells into the kitchen, "mom, you coming?"

"Go, I'll watch the little ones," grandma says. I don't hear move to do so, just continuing her cake.