10 | welcome home

10 | welcome home

"You're not scared?" he teases. "He's big and scary."

"So are you," I whisper. 

Stepping into Axel's car is the first time in awhile that I feel like I'm taking initiative in my life

Stepping into Axel's car is the first time in awhile that I feel like I'm taking initiative in my life. Stepping out of it when we get to Seattle makes me question whether or not my decision was too impulsive and I consider regretting it already. 

I can tell that Axel is nervous too, but he opens my car door, and I step out yawning, having slept the entire way here after our night in a two-bed hotel room. He smiles softly, his eyes a warm grey, and even a blind man would be able to see how hard he is going to try to make this work out between us. I don't care how terrified I am of being here; I know I can trust him.

When I get out of the car, I glance up at the massive apartment building and immediately ask, "wait, which floor are you on?" 

"Nine," he answers, closing the door and going around back to grab the bags, "you can still see pretty far but its not an unimaginable trek to get up or down if the elevator stops working." 

I glance at him like he's joking. "The elevator doesn't work?" 

He slams the trunk. "Sometimes," he smiles, and then shrugs, "I haven't lived here long." 

I chuckle. "This is going to be fun."

Axel nods, "yeah, and if we're in the elevator when it breaks down, I'm sure we can figure out a way to pass the time." He says it so casually, even though what he's implying is far from casual. He doesn't look at me to see my cheeks blush at the thought of making out with him again, mostly because he probably feels guilty for bringing it up. 

We talked a bit in the car on the way here. I said I wanted to take it slow. To start over, even. He'd take me out on a date and then bring me home, and he'd go to his room, and I'd stay on the couch, since, I mean, we are living together. It'd be simple. New. No old feelings attached, even though, it'll be impossible to completely forget how in love we were before.

I follow Axel into the apartment building and we get checked in, and I get my own key. 

I pull my suitcase behind me, having to convince Axel that I'm not going to let him carry all of my bags, and we go into the elevator. We're alone, and side to side, and Axel glances down at me, obviously still thinking about what he said to me before, because when I look at him, he quickly glances away and smiles cheekily. 

I shake my head and laugh silently. 

We're quiet until we reach the 9th floor, and Axel holds out his arms, "ladies first, to the right."

I grin, and when I find room 909 I stop in front of it, glancing back at Axel. He smiles a little when he murmurs, "welcome home." I smile back at him, excited for this new journey, and unlock the door.