31 | the gift

31 | the gift

How does he do this to me? 

"Alright," I say once Axel pulls into our driveway

"Alright," I say once Axel pulls into our driveway. "I'm gonna give Zelda to you and you're gonna hide around the corner while I go get Will." I gaze at our windows, make sure no ones watching, and like a very skilled spy, I hop out of the car with Zelda and hide by the garage. Axel only chuckles lazily and follows me. I hand him Zelda, who continues slobbering on him, and say, "Be patient. I'm going to be yelling at Will for a sec for ditching me and leaving me with you."

Axel tries to keep his chuckle low. "You should be thanking him." 

I scoff. "Yeah, but I won't."

He grins a little, and places a kiss on my lips. "Go," he whispers. "I have to work at 3."

I nod, kiss him again for luck, or just because I feel like it, or just because I can, and rush up the steps to the house. I find grandma baking in the kitchen, with mom and dad at the island trying 3 different kinds of vegan chocolate frosting. 

"Hey hun," mom smiles at me, "where've you been?"

"Out," I say shyly. She looks suspicious, but doesn't say anything, not in front of my dad. "Where's Will?" I ask, quickly changing the subject. 

"Here," a voice comes from behind me. 

I turn to Will, who wears a smug expression as he eyes me curiously.

Instead of cussing him out for ditching me in the middle of nowhere, I say sweetly, "I have something for you."

"Awesome!" he says loudly, clapping his hands together. 

Jem's on the couch watching tv when we wander out of the kitchen, and she screeches when she sees me. "Happy birthday, Avi!" she sings and even leaves her show to come and hug me. 

I scoop the little girl up into my arms and kiss her chubby cheeks. She scrunches her nose but holds my face to kiss me back. God, I love her. I'm so glad she's not leaving me too. Except she's going to remind me of Axel every day. And it's going to hurt so much. 

I push away the thoughts and the sadness that grows in my gut. "Wanna come see the present I got for Will?"

She gasps. "Yes! Do I get a present too?" 

I laugh. "You will love Will's present too!" I wiggle my brows at Will, who, I guess, just thought I made up the present excuse so that I could take him outside and yell at him. But no, I'm actually a wonderful sister. "Come on," I nod to the front door and Will follows Jem and I to the porch. 

Will glances around when I close the screen door. "Uh, thanks?" he says. "Fresh air? Sweet." 

I chuckle. "Oh my gosh. No. You'll see your present in 3. 2. 1.!"