5 | love him more

5 | love him more

you know I'm not giving up, right?

It's warmer out this afternoon, and Will suggests we barbecue at 5

It's warmer out this afternoon, and Will suggests we barbecue at 5. I know my family won't protect me from Axel and the awkwardness and tension that comes with him, but I also don't want to invite Dylan. I feel like that'll make it more awkward, especially after my conversation with Axel this morning.

I haven't seen Axel since then. I don't think he has wanted to see me either. 

I'm helping Mom make veggie skewers in the kitchen when he walks inside, bags in both hands. I turn around to look, thinking it's Will and Jem and Leah and Lily back from picking up some marshmallows for our campfire tonight, but it's Axel, and it's too late to pretend I don't see him. 

I look at the bags, obviously filled with Christmas gifts, and meet Axel's eyes. 

"Sh," he says, "you didn't see me."

Mom turns around to look but Axel's already racing up the stairs to my room to hide his gifts. He obviously got Mom one. 

She looks at me and I shrug, laughing. 

"Have you two," she continues cutting veggies, "you know, talked since he's been back?"

I nod. "Yeah." 

She stops cutting. "And?"

I poke vegetables onto the skewers and don't meet her curious gaze. "We're over. It's fine." 

Mom sighs, but doesn't press the issue. I know she'd rather I be with Axel than Dylan, although she loves Dylan too. She thinks he can make me happy, even after what he has done to me. I want to be angry with her about it, because I know what she's thinking, although she's never outwardly said it, but I can't be mad. She knows best, and she's probably right, but I just can't do it. 

Maybe someday Axel could make me happy, and keep it that way. But how many times will he hurt me before that happens? How much pain can a girl in love endure? No, I'm staying with Dylan. 

Axel's downstairs again in minutes, grabbing a beer from the fridge. Mom looks over. 

"Uh," I hear him say as he leans against the counter behind us, "I'm 21 in January." 

Mom teases him, "yes, but how you required the alcohol is the question." 

Axel chuckles nervously. "Ye-ah, well I, uh," he stumbles on his words, "that is the question." 

Mom laughs and takes the cutting board and knife to wash them in the sink, leaving me with the cut veggies. Axel opens the bottle anyway and takes a swig, letting out a satisfied sigh. I turn around awkwardly, trying to avoid him, but he's standing right in front of the new package of wooden skewers, and he catches me off guard.