11 | want to hate

11 | want to hate

Twins gotta stick together, bud

I'm flying into Jem's room the moment I hear her wake up

I'm flying into Jem's room the moment I hear her wake up. I only found out yesterday that it was her birthday today, and yet, I switched a shift with Emma to go shopping for the perfect present. She's crawling out of bed when I throw the open door, and her eyes instantly land on my gift bag. She squeals in delight and screams, "It's my birthday!" 

I screech too and take the little girl into my arms. "Is it really?" I gasp, hiding the bag behind my back. "How old are you?" 

She holds up four fingers. "I'm four years old!" 

I giggle and peck her chubby little face, and I can tell by her glancing around that she's looking for the present I brought in. I laugh and let her go, bringing the gift bag forward, lucky to be the first one giving her a present; the first present is always the most memorable, and I hope no one tops mine. 

She sits on the carpeted floor in front of me in dinosaur pyjamas and tears away the tissue paper. She makes a confused face, not being able to recognize what she got, and digs inside the bag curiously, pulling out a backpack. 

She gasps excitedly. "A dinosaur school bag? Thank you!"

I smile wide. "Do you like dinosaurs?" 

She giggles again and hugs the backpack. "Dinosaurs are my favourite!" She squeals, and when she rocks the bag like it's her baby, her eyes widen. She stops and shakes it, and the inside rumbles. "More presents?" She gasps.

I laugh and nod, and she fumbles to zip it open. I lean in and help her, and the smile on her face is the most heartwarming thing in this entire world. She reaches into the bag to pull out the other items, gasping and acknowledging each one. "Another dino for my cowection", she grabs the triceratops, placing it on the floor. "Dino colorers!" She pulls out the coloured markers. She tugs out a big pack of balloons. "Dino bawoons!" She gasps excitedly, trying to tear open the package. "help me bo them up, Avi!" 

I laugh, taking the bag from her. "I will after breakfast!" I tell her, setting them on the floor. "There's one more thing in your bag. 

Her mouth falls open again and she reaches inside, pulling out the stick on temporary dinosaur tattoos. "Dino stickers!" She exclaims, holding up the package. 

"Ah," I hold my finger up, "not stickers. Look at the back." She flips the package over, confused. I point to the picture directions. "They're tattoos!" 

She gasps again. "Now I can be just like Axe!" She's too precious. I can't handle it. I blush immensely, completely forgetting that she's his sister, not mine. "Can I put them on? And bo up my bawoons?"

I giggle, "afterwards!" and help her put the things back into her bag. "Let's go downstairs and open all of your other presents first."

"Oh yeah!" She grins, zipping up her bag and slinging it over her shoulders, rushing out of the room. I meet her at the stairs because she's still too afraid to walk down them, and pick her up into my arms.