Chapter 14 : Who Are You?

[Y/F/N] = Your First Name

[Y/E/C] = Your Eye Color

Darkness, crushing empty blackness surrounded me. I was back in the tomb again...or perhaps I had never left?

The amulet glowed dimly in my hands, illuminating only rocks and dirt on all sides. I jumped as there was a slight sound to my right; lifting up the amulet higher, I could see the dim shape of the Sphinx sitting in front of me.

"Am I dead?" I asked, my voice sounding weak to my ears.

"No, not quite yet." The Sphinx replied calmly, "but soon..." She cocked her head to one side, scrutinizing me. "Who knows? You mortals are such fragile creatures."

"You didn't seem to mind that when you offered me your power to escape in return for being your vessel." I replied tiredly. The Sphinx shrugged, a movement that sent her wings ruffling slightly.

"There was a lack of other candidates. Besides, if you won, we would both be free, and if you lost..." She shrugged again. "Well, you would have died soon anyway from starvation so it wouldn't have mattered if you had gone insane as well." She stood up and stretched. "As for me," she continued carelessly, "what was another few hundred years trapped underground?"

"But I won...I solved your riddle..." I recalled, and the Sphinx nodded.

"Yes, to my surprise," she said, "but then you had to go and get my amulet broken."

I looked down and saw the thin crack running through the center of the stone, where Hawkmoth had stabbed me when I was trying to escape. If it hadn't been for the amulet, I would've been dead, but since the amulet was the source of my power...

"Can it be fixed?" I asked hopefully and the Sphinx laughed.

"That amulet was forged hundreds of years ago by men with much more magic than you or I. It was meant to contain me, with my only escape being to serve as a weapon, a slave to whomever could answer my riddle correctly. I didn't think I would ever get another opportunity to be free but now..." she trailed off, her eyes gleaming with a feverish excitement I wasn't sure I liked.

"So what happens now?" I asked, backing slowly away. Sphinx smiled, showing rows of sharp canine teeth.

"Well, obviously we can use the break to be free of the amulet's enchantment and use your body as a vessel."

I gave a small breath of relief.

"So we share just like before." I said. Sphinx smiled even wider.

"We could share...but I'd rather just fight you for it. Won't it be fun to see who will win?"

Sphinx rose gracefully to her feet and moved towards me like a cat stalking a mouse. I backed away quicker now but there seemed to be nowhere to hide.

"No!" I screamed "It's my body! You can't have it!"

* * *

Chat Noir/Ladybug's P.O.V.

"It's waking up." Announced Master Fu. Chat Noir and Ladybug leapt up from the chairs they had been resting in and ran to the creature's bedside.

Chat had been ready to attack when he saw the winged, lion-like creature dive at them. After all, he remembered their last attack. But as he was placing himself in front of Ladybug, it suddenly lost all semblance of flight and crashed on the roof in front of them, not even attempting to break its fall and ripping up a swath of shingles as it did so. As he moved cautiously closer, he had seen the injuries, vicious wounds that looked like they had been made with a blade, with dried blood covering its feathers and fur.