Chapter 12: Nighttime Visits

I was trapped in the tomb again, running for my life as the walls collapsed around me. Of course the one time Dad let me join him on an exploration this had to happen.

        "Be careful, [Y/N]," Dad had said as we entered the Egyptian Tomb. "No one has ever been in this crypt before, but if I'm right, it was built even before the Sphinx of Giza, so don't touch anything until I can get a team in here to properly catalogue everything."

       I'd promised, but once I was inside, once I saw the beautiful Sphinx amulet on glittering on the altar...It just seemed to call out to me, and before I knew what I was doing, I was snatching the amulet from its stand and stuffing it in my pocket. Immediately the walls began to collapse around us.

    "Run, [Y/N]!!" Dad yelled and shoved me through the archway before it collapsed on top of him, burying him under an avalanche of rock.

     "No!!" I screamed, and stumbled back as more rocks fell where I had been standing a second before. I ran as fast as I could, tears coursing down my cheeks, back the way we'd come.

    Right, left, right, left, the passageways seemed to go on forever, my lungs were screaming for air, and still there was no exit in sight. I skidded to a stop as I was confronted with a solid wall of rock. I must've taken a wrong turn somewhere!

    I turned to run back and the ground gave out underneath me and I was falling, falling into the pitch blackness ...

      "[U/N], you're having a bad dream!"

I wake up, gasping, covered in sweat. But this time I wasn't alone. There was something in the darkness and I lash out instinctively, catching the intruder in the stomach. I hear a grunt of pain then the person is grabbing both my arms, and a warm body is pressed against mine as I struggle to get free.

      "[U/N]! Stop, it's me! It's Adrian!"

I instantly stop struggling. Adrian? Here? In my room?

The bedroom is dark, with only the light of the moon through the window but as I squint I can make out the familiar figure of Adrian leaning over me, his blond hair tousled from sleep and wearing a T-shirt and P.J. pants.

     "Is everything okay?" He asks, looking concerned. "I could hear you crying from my room."

      "Yeah," I breathe, and realize I can hear the sound of my heart beating rapidly in my ears. Could he hear it? He had to, he was practically lying on top of me. The feeling of his thumb lightly brushing my wrist feels like a caress, and sends shivers through my whole body. "I just...had a bad dream," I stammer. I add reluctantly, "umm, could you get off of me? I won't hit you, I promise."

It might've been dark but I could almost swear Adrian blushed as he released me and sat near the edge of the bed.

     "Sorry," mumbled, and looked away. I sit up too, hugging my knees to my chest. My heart is still hammering away like a jackhammer in my chest.

We sit in awkward silence for a minute, unsure of what to say to each other.

    "Do you want to talk about it? Your dream I mean," Adrian asks hesitantly.

    "No. Maybe. I don't know." I answer. "It brings back a lot of bad memories."

    "About your Dad?" Adrian asks sympathetically and I nod. "It's okay if you don't want to say anything," Adrian says kindly.

     "He was an explorer, always going on trips to places like India, Africa, Brazil, South America but he always said I was too young to go along." I blurt out. "The year I turned twelve, I begged him to take me along to Egypt; he kept telling me we should wait a year but I convinced him it was the only thing I wanted for my birthday."