Chapter 22: "...Everyday."

Start from the beginning

Alfred looks over at Antonio, who's also looking at him. Antonio gives him a small but... Sad(?) smile and Alfred only nods at him.

Matthias turns to Alfred, "How about you, Alfred, you comin'?" Alfred turns to look at Arthur, who's also looking at him and Alfred nods. "Yeah. I mean, I really think a party is what I need right now."

"GREAT! It'll be happening tomorrow night, just a reminder there! THIS IS GONNA BE HYPE!" Matthias yells out cheerfully, and Gilbert joins him.

***

Ever since Arthur had started dating Antonio, he's stopped riding home with him. Alfred doesn't need to deny, he really misses it.

They've just reconciled last month but... Now, they're getting farther and farther apart. And Alfred knows it's his fault for not realizing his feelings any sooner.

He sighs as he he grabs his books and locks his locker. At any rate, if this goes any further, Alfred's going to have to accept that scholarship...

"Alfred...?" Alfred turns around and his eyes widen at the familiar sandy blonde haired teen standing just right beside his locker, his emerald eyes glowing brightly.

"Arthur...? Do you..." Alfred trails off, looking away with a twist of pain in his chest and scratching the back of his neck.

"I wanted to... Check how you've been." Arthur says with a soft voice and Alfred's mouth turns to a straight line. "Why...?" Alfred questions him.

Arthur shrugs his shoulders, his eyes looking down, "I don't know... I just... I just think I needed to, you know?" Alfred gives him a small smile. "Well, I guess I'm fine..."

Arthur looks up at Alfred, giving a small nod and a soft hum of understanding, "Okay... That's... That sounds good."

Alfred still doesn't look at Arthur, "How about you...? How are things between Antonio and you...?"

Arthur's Side:

Arthur swallows as Alfred asks him the question, "Well... I think..."

'...we're not doing well at all.'

"We're doing great, actually." Arthur forces himself to say.

'Even with things between us relaxing, we're still not getting anything right.'

"Some issues here and there but we're doing so great." He sees Alfred nod, eyes still not looking at him.

'He's still depressed and I'm still in love with you. Things just aren't so great between the both of us.'

"He's happy and I'm happy with him. Things are quite amazing between the both of us."

'...I miss you.'

"I... I'm glad you've stopped." Arthur finishes, a small lump swelling in his throat. He swallows as he watches Alfred grip his books.

"That's... Good..." Alfred croaks out and Arthur nods.

Silence befalls on them. Nothing saying a word when Arthur suddenly opens his mouth,

"...do you..." Arthur begins, "...do you still love me?" Arthur finishes, looking up at Alfred's. Alfred turns to look at him, his beautiful blue ocean eyes looking back at Arthur, as if boring itself into him.

 Alfred turns to look at him, his beautiful blue ocean eyes looking back at Arthur, as if boring itself into him

Arthur shivers as Alfred opens his mouth to speak softly.

"...Everyday."

Arthur breathes in heavily before Alfred backs away

Arthur breathes in heavily before Alfred backs away. "I still do, Arthur... It can never change." Alfred admits, turning around so now Arthur's facing his back.

"It hurts to know how happy you are but if that's how things just are..." Arthur furrows his eyebrows, his chest twisting, "Then... I'll stay away... For you."

Arthur closes his eyes tightly. How could things have turned out this way...? It all just... Hurts.

Alfred chuckles lowly, "I... Have to go, Arthur... See you tomorrow..." And before Arthur could stop him, Alfred's already walking away.

Arthur watches Alfred's figure until he had finally disappeared from his view.

Arthur swallows, turning around to head to his own class.