03

C a r t e r

I stand inside the after party for the CMA's, and I've been itching for a cigarette since preforming 80's Mercedes.

I know Caroline and Carrie would kill me if I did, because they've cracked me down on it a few time before, but right now I don't really care with all the shit going on.

I let out a frustrated sigh, before my chair scrapes against the floor, and I make my way out to the front, before pulling out a Marlboro, and lighting it.

The second the Marlboro hits my lips, I feel my stresses slip away, and I go into my own little world.

It's like this for a few moments, before someone interrupts my thinking.

"Well isn't it the famous Carter Mae Sullivan,"A deep voice Asks And I chuckle bitterly, blowing out the smoke.

"And you are?"I Ask, not taking my eyes off the cars flying by the after party.

"Brantley Gilbert."He leans next to me on the wall and I smile.

"Ah the famous bad boy in country music."I Smirk, taking another drag and Brantley chuckles.

"Your lucky Caroline and Kerri don't find you out here having a Marlboro on your lip."Brantley chuckles and I shake my head.

"I've been like this since I was fourteen, I've stopped when I was 19, and it came back again late last month."I shrug, and I finally turn my attention to the man next to me.

He's wearing his famous ball cap and black jacket, a sons and archery t-shirt, with jeans.

"How the hell do you even know who I am? I just came out with my album last year?"I Ask, And he smiles.

"I've heard you on the radio a couple times, and you singing 80's Mercedes tonight is something to top it off."He Explains And I blow out some smoke, nodding.

"Well that's impressive cause I haven't heard myself on the radio once."I state, and he chuckles.

"Listin' to the wrong Radio station darlin' cause I know In Boston they play a local girl."He points out, and I cock an eyebrow.

"Stalker much?"I question, and he just laughs.

"Not even the slightest, but when you go into Boston for concerts and leave it on country, more specifically The Bull, they talk about the local girl going famous."

"Figures, if and when I'm in Boston I'm listing to the sports hub, speaking of,"I pull out my phone to check the score of the Bruins game and I find them winning 4-0 against Toronto.

"Finally!"I cheer, and Brantley looks at me.

"B's are winning."I State simply and he smiles.

"Kerri was talking to me earlier sayin she couldn't get you in a dress, you refused."He smiles, and I shrug, as my cigarette comes to an end.

I put it out, throwing it on an outside ashtray, before looking at Brantley.

"You didn't see me here smoking, Kerri, Caroline, and Carrie would have my head."I put out the cigarette, before turning on my heel, "it was good talkin' to ya."

"You too Carter."I wave my hand before making my way back into the party to find Cole leaning up against a banister with Dierks.

"Told ya."Dierks holds his hand out towards Cole, and Cole sighs, before handing Dierks a ten dollar bill.

"Wow I feel loved."