Slap Ophelia List

The end started with a scream. Then another one. And another one… one after another, echoing through the horror of what came to view. It started with pain and tears. With blood on gold and green eyes staring at the emptiness lifelessly.

It started with death.

“Go get help.” I heard someone shout. A voice with authority. Powerful. Ophelia. “NOW!”

I could barely see, barely keep my eyes open. At this point I wasn’t sure why was I trying to stay awake. My back hurt, my face felt like split in two. I was practically showered in blood. Mine, Milo’s, the enemies’… Darius’? I couldn’t tell anymore. With all that pain hugging me, I still knew I didn’t have any right to complain. After all I didn’t get shot with an arrow in my head. After all I wasn’t Riven crying over Darius’ dead body. I wasn’t his family screaming at the loss of their son. I had no right to complain.

Shouts and cries were heard everywhere. Someone ordering, people panicking and rushing. I saw pain and hesitation in the eyes of a woman standing right next to the dead body of Darius, probably his mother. She was reaching out to him, but not really wanting to make contact, because that would make it real. His death would be real.

Tears rolled down her face like rivers, screams of pain and eyes with hurt.. Loss…

“Don’t worry.” A face came to my view. Ophelia. “Everything will be alright.” She said with a soft voice and teary eyes. Her cold hand touched my cheek as a relived smile formed on her perfect pink lips.

I looked at Riven, who let out a single agonizing cry. I saw his mother hugging the dead body of Darius, shoulders shaking, tears washing the blood off the gold. His father powerless next to his wife…

“Nothing was ever right.” I muttered. My eyes closed and I couldn’t find the strength to open them. I knew I should try to stay awake, that I might never open my eyes again, but at this point, it didn’t matter at all.

***

Xaxa pulling on my hair woke me up. She was sitting on my head and scratching and yawning. I managed a small smile trying to look up at her. “Hi there baby girl.”

“You’re awake.”

“Jett.”

He was sitting by my side, with his cane resting on his lap. His eyes were red and puffy, probably because of crying. He looked tired and… relieved. He had that kind of look he had when usually I was sick. The concerned look of a father. I missed him so much.

Jett touched my hand with his tiny one, smiling weakly at me. “I was so worried, kiddo.”

“I’m fine. I’m here now.” I gave him a weak smile as a proof of my statement, which wasn’t true but he didn’t have to worry about me. I haven’t been fine for a very long time now.

“I heard about Knox.” He looked down at the floor. “I’m sorry, Angus.”

I was sorry too. After all it was my fault he died. And I will miss him more than anyone could imagine. But I can’t bring him back. And… I can’t mourn him now. Not yet. Not now that Darius is dead and Nova kidnapped.

I have to find Nova. I have to deal with Rodor. And then there’s the deal with that stupid sword being in the wrong hands. And suddenly I gave myself a headache.

“I have to go.” Apparently getting up from the bed was a harder task than I thought. I knew I wasn’t in shape, but I kind of forgot it. And now that I remembered, my back started to ache and somehow my face had a heartbeat of its own. I have no idea how, but I had.

“You just came. You’re not going anywhere.” Jett stood up on the chair threatening me with his cane. He was glaring at me and he had every right to. After all I finally came back to him, half dead and now I was being a total fool by wanting to even leave my bed in the condition I was, let alone anywhere else.