Chapter 21: Safe

It's five thirty when I wake up. The first thought that slips into my mind as I blink the sleep out of my eyes is Olympia, and the win. Happiness swells inside of me. It's still hours until I will leave the academy and go home for the rest of the summer. Everyone is fast asleep. Looking out the window, I can see the sun rising over the distant trees, and the shadow of the stables stretching over the courtyard.

Tip toeing to my closet, I pull out my lilac polo shirt and coffee breeches. In the bathroom I go through a quick morning routine, and pull my hair into a messy ponytail, before heading to the barn.

The paths are empty and the whole campus lies still, not another person in sight. Some of the horses are still asleep, but my Olympia is wide awake, her brown eyes big. From the way she gazes at me, I can't help but remember the first time I saw her.

In the morning, at the horse auction, the sun casting shadows over the mud stained ground and poorly kept fencings, that contain the horses. Horses  that some horrible, despicable people gave up on. How could someone do this? I wander through the maze of fences and horses, looking for one to call my own. The mud slushes under my feet. Tripping on something, I stumble onto the ground, staining my pants with mud. Leaning on the nearest fence, I drag myself to my feet. The dirty name plate catches my eye. It reads Olympia. I stand on the fence to get a better look at the mare. She looks around sixteen hands high and I can see her bay coat peek out from where she isn't covered in mud, dirt and dust. Her black mane is unevenly trimmed and her tail is knotted. She turns her head to me and for the first time I see her eyes. They are big and brown and twinkle like stars. I stare into the gleaming depths, unable to look away and I feel a connection, something igniting inside of me, spreading through my body and I know she's the horse. She's mine. I can't imagine such a beautiful horse being sent to the slaughter house, the thought makes me want to scream.

Olympia walks towards me and I hold my hand out for her to sniff. Her whiskers tickle my palm. Who gave up on this horse? Why would anyone do such a thing?

"They never believed in you, huh?" I scratch the mare's cheek, and she snorts.

"Don't worry... they never believe in me either." I laugh, but it's tinted with sadness. My eyes flicker to the ground for a moment, before I look up again, staring into those big brown eyes.

"But i'll tell you a secret," My voice quiets and Olympia flicks her ears. I keep stroking her face, my hands gentle and my voice soft. "We don't have to listen to them."

Olympia snorts, pulling me back to reality from my thoughts.

"Hey superstar." I whisper, affection threaded through my voice at the sight of her.

Olympia noses my arm and I let myself into her stable with my grooming kit. I go through a quick groom and slip the bridle onto her.

"You feeling bareback?" I ask with a grin.

Olympia stares at me and snorts.

"Me too."

I twirl my ankles around, lazily steering Olympia towards the forest. I choose a path and soon we walk along the narrow trail. I sit relaxed on her bare back, my hands soft on the reins, letting her control where we go half of the time. The birds twitter and sing their tunes back and forth, fading into a symphony with the rustling leaves.

Gently, I stroke Olympia's tousled mane to one side. She shakes her head and snorts, making me smile.

"Your such a good girl, aren't you?"

Olympia's fluffy ears flick back and forth in agreement.

Leaves brush against my feet as we continue. The trail comes to a fork and we head down the overgrown path. I don't know where it leads, but I follow the path anyway.

I smile as we reach a small meadow. The grass is filled with small white wildflowers. I recognise them. Anemone nemoroses, my favourite. Olympia pulls her head down to take a mouthful of the lush green grass. The sound of rushing water fills my ears, and my eyes find the source, a small stream.

I slide myself off her back, slippery without the saddle. Olympia's muscles are relaxed, a change of scenery does us both some good. I barely grip Olympia's bridle as we stroll towards the stream. She laps up the cool water and I let my hands feel the cold drag of the gentle current.

Streaks of white clouds cover the sun every now and again, scattering shadows onto the soft grassy field. I pick some of the flowers, gazing closely at their soft petals, leaving Olympia to graze with the reins on her neck.

When I have a handful, I move to Olympia's side patting her shoulder and beginning to hum one of my favourite songs. Olympia turns her head to me, nosing my hand and I laugh, murmuring words of comfort to her in a gentle voice.

She goes back to grazing and I braid her mane, weaving flowers into the smooth, black hair.

After a moment, a french braid goes down her neck, the mane intertwined with the little white flowers and their green leaves. Olympia stands so nicely, letting me lean against her as I finish the final verse of the song. I secure the braid with a strand of grass and hug my horse.

"I love you, you're my superstar."

She really is my everything. I take my time stroking her cheek before inching backwards and hauling myself onto her back once again. Olympia tenses and paces sideways.

"Easy girl." I sooth her and she calms down as we begin to walk again, this time over the stream and deeper into the forest.

The leafy green ceiling stretches high above the trail and the leaves whisper in the late summer breeze. Olympia lifts her head and I let her trot. My body moves freely as I bounce on her back.

Soon the trees fan out, getting more and more sparse. Olympia and I move into a smooth canter, I clutch a small strand of Olympia's hair to keep my balance. The field approaches, the grass in waves, and I release the slight pressure off the reins, letting Olympia into a gallop. I squeeze my legs to her side and tighten my abs to keep my balance.

A wide smile spreads across my face as the wind blows my hair back. Laughs escape me, and the motion of the gallop fills me with exhilaration, makes me feel like we are floating on air, going a million miles an hour. Galloping on the back of my horse, ten times my size with a mind of its own, there is no better feeling in the world. A horse can kill with one kick of it's leg, but my horse won't, because I trust her and she trusts me. Because she is my everything, because I am her's; because we are one. I wouldn't feel safer anywhere in the world.