Chapter 1: This is It

I lower the black helmet onto my brunette hair with it's natural highlights. The tight bun and hairnet fit perfectly underneath it. 

Beside me, Olympia, my dutch warmblood-thoroughbred cross mare sways from side to side anxiously, her bay coat shining in the summer sun. Her black little button braids are neatly done and her white star and single sock are spotless. She looks competition ready and I do too with my smart black show jacket and beige coloured breeches. I just hope Olympia feels more competition ready than I do at the moment. My fingers fumble on the leather halter as I try to unclip it. The familiar mix of nerves and butterflies is starting to get to me.

"Alina." The sharp tone of my coach, Audrey Whitman, snaps me out of my jumbled thoughts. I go to her immediately, my black show boots trailing behind me as I prepare for a lecture. She pulls me aside, gripping my arm tightly.

"I am not going to let you walk into a competition looking like a complete nervous wreck." Her dark eyed gaze is intense as she continues. "You're embarrassing yourself, you're embarrassing our team, and you're embarrassing me. So put your game face on, hold your head high, and walk in there like you are heads and shoulders above the competition. Yes?"

I nod, pressing my lips into a firm line and going back to Olympia. Audrey Whitman is tough. Okay, tough may be an understatement. She yells and she screams but she also makes her students into top equestrians. She brings riders to this competition every year, so I understand her not wanting to be embarrassed. She alone is the reason why some young equestrians have gotten into Collins Equine Academy, one of the— if not the— best equestrian school in the world.

"Ready my superstar?" I murmur into Olympia's ears. They flick with understanding and she calms down for a minute. I unclip the halter and check the soft leather straps on the bridle before tightening the girth. Olympia flings her head in annoyance, but settles as I whisper words of comfort to her.

"All riders numbered one to ten, please report to the warm up ring." The announcement sends a new wave of nerves through me as my number is called.

After all the showing i've done, this is by far the most important one I have entered. I'm number ten in the whole competition of about sixty other riders. Luckily, I like showing early on, so I don't have to watch too many of the others. Sixty riders and only twenty will make it to tryouts. I push the thought away quickly with the rest of my nerves, unwilling to think about it. I have to stay focused on the present, show jumping. The first event.

I grip Olympia's reins tightly as the eight year old mare prances around, sensing the tension in the atmosphere. Walking her in small, tight circles, we make our way to the warm up ring.

My coach marches along beside me, her presence as intimidating as ever. I eye the other horses and riders, seeing shiny purebred after purebred, expensively dressed rider after rider. Suddenly, I feel very out of place beside them with my cross bred rescue, who I basically had to train to jump by myself. I have to remind myself that Olympia, regardless of her background, is more than capable in jumping and so am I.

Audrey gives me a look and I lift my chin higher into the air as we enter the warm up ring. She gives me a quick leg up and holds Olympia while I adjust my position.

"Keep those heels down and don't let me see your legs move an inch off position." Audrey speaks in a low voice and I nod at her words, unable to make myself speak, before she heads to the fence.

I press my calves to Olympia's sides, moving her to the track and keeping a good distance between other riders. I sink into the saddle, feeling every small movement my horse makes. Her muscles are tense and her gait is nervously choppy. I half halt and keep my leg on, playing with the reins to get her attention on me. After a lap or two, she lowers her head frame and gives me a nice rounded shape through her circles.