Chapter 18: Surprise, Surprise

The morning goes by in a blur and I am the first rider at the barn. My paddock boots click against the concrete as I get Olympia's halter. I retrieve Olympia from the pasture, I left her outside last night since it's been so warm and she stays calmer that way. I head towards Olympia, clucking and calling her name. The mare comes trotting over to me, nuzzling my hands for treats. I hold my palms open, laughing.

"I don't have anything." I talk to her softly as I slip the halter over her ears. "You'll get a treat after our show okay? I promise." 

I get her settled in her stall and then give her the morning feed as I begin to brush her coat. It's been so dry and hot the past week that the fields aren't muddy, which means I don't have to use the curry comb for long. I use the dust brush and soft brush, then spray some showsheen over her coat and spread it around with a towel. Once I've cleaned her hooves and carefully checked that her shoes are all in place, I smoothen some hoof polish over the hooves. Sometimes, it's funny to think that my horse's shoes cost more than mine. Well probably not more than my show boots, but my normal shoes that I wear outside of horse riding are definitely cheaper. I smile at the thought, busying myself with detangling her tail and then the mane, using some spray when I need it.

By now Olympia has finished eating, and she seems a bit tense. She knows when it's show time with the fussing and the same grooming routine I follow. At least the barn is quieter with only five riders getting their horses ready. Suddenly, I remember that my parents will be coming. Everyone's family was invited to watch the finals. I doubt my dad will make it through, but I'm kind of happy, i'd rather he just stays home. I kiss Olympia on the muzzle, before continuing. 

After I work through the braiding, I go back to the dorms and get myself dressed in the clothes I laid out last night. I run into Cilia on the way to the stables.

"Hey." She says. I can tell she is nervous from the way she stands: slouched over, lips pressed together into a line and eyes wide. Audrey would never let her riders look like that, but actually, i'm not that nervous today. I have faith in Olympia and I have faith in myself.

"Hi." I reply. "Bondi ready?"

"Almost." She says. She's already wearing a black show coat and white breeches. "I forgot my boots at the dorms, I have to get them." She talks fast, obviously in a hurry.

I nod and she runs off. At Olympia's stall, I tack her up, using a white saddle pad. I keep my show coat next to her stall on one of the hooks, it's too hot to wear it and it's only morning.

"Alina?"

I finish tightening the girth and turn to see my mum.

"Mum!" I exclaim, slipping out the stall to hug her. She smells like, freshly cleaned clothes, books, and a faint hint of coconut, she smells like home. She laughs, kissing me on the top of my head.

"Did dad come?" I ask, hopeful for a second, but from the way my mum's expression changes, I can tell he didn't.

"No, i'm sorry Ali. He um... he's got a work thing and—"

"I know." I say, slightly disappointed, but unwilling to show it. "It's okay." I manage to smile, though I don't feel like smiling. It's ridiculous, after all the times i've been disappointed that my dad didn't make it, that both my parents didn't make it to a show, I shouldn't even care anymore. But some small part of me is hurt, no matter how well I hide it. My dad doesn't even support my riding, so why should I care? I don't, I decide, even though I might be lying to myself.

My mum smiles back at me, a blonde lock falling over her eyes. "You need any help?" She asks, although i'm quite sure she doesn't have a clue about anything horse related.