Chapter 36 Limbo II

It's been three days I've entered the Limbo. Funny enough, I wasn't thirsty nor hungry. As Alastor mentioned I was just a spirit, but I couldn't help the thousands of questions that went through my mind. How was my physical body doing when I'm here, am I still breathing, am I even considered alive? I couldn't help but feel the silver of fear that went down my spine, shaking those thoughts away, I pondered over what the Puppeteer said instead. I had to be productive. This time I was not the damsel in distress, I'm the hero. Yeah. I can do this. I have got this. There should have been more creatures here, but why haven't I seen even a shadow of another since the Puppeteer disappeared?

After much walking, I finally came across a cactus looking plant. As tiny as it is, it started walking and I rubbed my eyes. Was hallucination another perk of being in the Limbo? I crept up to the creature and bent down to inspect it. Its movement was awkward and stiff, I grabbed a stick nearby and poked at it but all it did was fall without a sound while its legs continued moving. What the hell? It was a puppet.  

My senses were now high on alert. What the heck is this? A way of alerting Cameron that someone was in the Limbo? Was this a creature's way of trapping food? Was this-

"Oi, whatchu do that for?" A voice spoke and I looked down. A similar looking plant walked up and kicked my foot before making it's way over to the thing I knocked down. This was getting weirder. But I met a kind, childish rather, Puppeteer. Maybe this little guy was nicer? 

'Who are you? I mean what are you?" I asked, keeping my distance as I watch the tiny plant-like creature tinker over the thing. 

"I'm Dee. A Dievera, ya rude ass." It looked over to me as though it was glaring then turned back to the thing, "It's a robot of mine. I'm trying to figure out how to control this thing so I can evade the golems."

Golems, this made sense. After all, this was what the Puppeteer mentioned. 

"Dee? Do you know Cameron?" Hesitantly bringing up his name, I kneeled down next to the creature who froze at the name. It put down its tools and turned to face me with a blank face. 

"Who are you?" 

"I'm Laura, I'm looking for Cameron, he's... someone I need to find. Do you know him? It's really urgent and-" Before I could finish, Dee disappeared in a puff of smoke but as I stood up to wave the away smoke I immediately spotted it. 

Shooting a blue bolt, it hit the ground just ahead of it and within three large strides, I was next to it. Shaking so hard, it looked as though its leaves were about to fall off. 

"Please, please don't hurt me." It was almost withering from fear.

"Cameron is always moving around in the Limbo, he doesn't exactly settle down. I don't know where he is nor where he goes. He treats demons in the Limbo as though we're human. I will never tell you anything if you're going to harm him. I absolutely refuse." Dee spluttered out. Though it was shaking, it was still careful not to divulge any information, huh, what has dad done that deserve such respect from these creatures?

"Alright, I won't hurt you. But I need to find him. I won't hurt him either. I promise." I placed a hand on the ground for it to climb up. Dee looked at it hesitantly before it took a slow step and I placed it on my shoulder. 

Walking forward, I followed Dee's instructions until we encountered another golem. It's hurried whisper made me squat behind a cactus as it explained. This time, I saw it up close as it walked after other demons, ones I've never seen before. The ram-like creature with six legs was desperately running away from the golems, it's horns were extremely long like antelopes and some tripped over their own horns just to run away.

"Not all of us are lucky to survive. Even a creature as tiny as me might get eaten as snacks by the golem. Cameron is our saviour, he keeps the golems at bay but the golems also have to eat to survive too so Cameron would take a three-day break and not save any of us. The golems get to eat and we have to survive. But after the three days, any golems that eat us will face Cameron." Dee explained. 

"Alright, we'll hide till it leaves," I assured Dee, the visible sigh of relief that made its way onto its face made me smile. Despite its size, its personality packed a punch. 

Dee told me more about the Limbo. It wasn't just a place for immortals that hideaway, demons who don't fit in seek refuge here. To prevent overpopulation, golems were placed here. Hence the desert look, it wasn't meant for people to survive. It was a temporary shelter. 

"Dee, listen. After hearing so much about the Limbo and how Cameron has helped you. Has Cameron told you about his family? His wife?" Dee nodded, surprised by my question. 

"We were told that he loved a mortal so deeply they conceived a child together. This child of theirs was tucked away in a small town with no power, but Cameron ran to serve his master and left mother and child to fend for themselves. He was always weary and constantly opening up screens to check up on them." Dee recounted solemnly, "But despite what he was made to go through, he never once forgot to use kindness regardless of demons or humans or immortals, he was kind to us and gentle. But when provoked, he was the epitome of hell." 

"Oh, little Dievera, you speak too much." A voice spoke up after a moment of silence.

Taken aback by the voice, I spun around and tucked Dee behind me. 

"Who goes there," I shouted as I took out my dagger. Arden had made sure I brought it along, for safety he said. Well, this sure came in handy.

The hooded figure had no weapons at his disposal. With speed I've never seen before, he had my hands behind my back and a knife at my neck. Dee let out a shriek and ran to hid behind the rocks. Letting my head fall behind, I managed to hit his face and with a grunt, I was free to turn on my cloak of fire. A ball of blue in my hands, I aimed it at his chest. 

The man fell backward with a thud and his hood finally fell to reveal his face. His own sharp intake of breath mirrored mine, eyes I see every day was right in front of me. 

"Oh god... You have fire powers too?"

"Dad?" 

*******************

ONE MORE CHAPTER GUYS. 

An epilogue and Book 1 of The Immortals series will be completed. Stay tuned for Book 2! (: