Chapter 32 Making up

"What was that for?" Alex spluttered as he splashed in the water, taken aback by the dunking. Apparently, he wasn't in the water long enough since he still had air to talk. My eyes narrowed at him and I took a step forward. 

"That's enough." Arden's voice was injected with a tad bit more force than usual,  literally overpowering all of us. Turning my glare to him, his face softened just a second and I moved away when I felt the slightest release. Taking one more lok at Alex and everyone, I shook my head and went towards the mat, Rhys' eyes widened as he scrambled away. 

"Hey, Laura, come on. You know that Bri was just trying to get you to join us." Rhys coaxed as I shoved my book into my bag. 

"Alright, I'll drive you back if that's what you really want." He sighed. 

"I'll walk." And without a second glance, I walked in the direction of the house. 

The forest was quiet except for the sound of crickets and wind that whistled past. Maybe I was really overreacting. No, Bri took it too far getting Alex to throw me into the water. And Arden, oh Arden was just, just- 

Laura...

A cold hand came to my shoulder, stopping me in my tracks. 

Feeling sad Laura? Feeling like you're not understood by your friends? 

The voice cackled with laughter, I was spinning around trying to locate it but there was no one else along the path. My head spun with the trees, as the laughter echoed. 

Join me, Laura. You know who I am. Together, you and I can rule the world. 

I always know where you are. You can never hide from me, Laura.

Laura...

Laura...

"Laura!" Hasty footsteps running towards me skidded to a halt, the person in question placed both hands on my shoulders. "Shit, Rhys open a portal to get us to the house. She's convulsing. We shouldn't have let her out of our sight. What were you thinking?" Arden gritted out, his arms scooping me up in one action, just one step and we're at the house in front of the fireplace that Rhys created. 

"What happened? Talk to me, Laura, please." His hands were shaking, it was unusual. I wanted to comfort him, my hands reached up for his cheek and I felt his warmth. 

"Allura spoke to me." I swallowed, but this wasn't what I wanted to say. My head was spinning as I tried to get a grip on reality. "Arden, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I walked out on all of you. I'm sorry I nearly killed Alex. I'm so, so sorry." I whispered. My heart clenched with the thought of never seeing them again if I ever fell over to Allura's side. The last thing I did to them was throwing another tantrum. I couldn't leave them like that. 

Words escaped him as he shook his head and cradled my body in his arms. Words weren't needed at that moment. The sound of the portal closing behind us and I knew that we were alone in the house. 

He carried me straight to my room, his face more human than I've ever seen, the person I thought an emotionless 98-year-old Immortal was falling apart. In silence, he placed me on the chair by the balcony and left quietly, the pattering of his footsteps getting further away. I could see the tops of the trees leading down towards the town and the beach, the sun getting real low. The sound of running water got me curious, peeking over the armchair, his shadow splayed over walls in the toilet, each movement moving with intention. 

Without a word, he came back and helped me in the toilet with arms that lingered for a second more before he closed the door behind him. A sigh escaped me as I slipped off my clothes and submerged myself into the cocoon of warmth, the soapy water gliding across my skin.