Chapter 14 Green Eyes

"Aw yes. Pay up girls." Soren smugly put down his cards, fingers wriggling to collect his payment.

Bri and I grumbled, pulling out a few gummy worms to hand them over. I was done with one while she was down to her last two.

"Shall we work together?" I whispered when Soren announced a toilet break. Bri looked at me and we gave each other our most conspirator-looking smile, bursting out into laughter just as he came back.

Briana and Soren, my only two friends who stood by me while everything else fell apart. And now there's Arden and Alex, and by extension, Lewis I guess. Who would have thought I would have a bigger social circle due to my uncanny ability.

Monday ended with Arden sending me home. Anna was nowhere in sight when I left, I don't think I could handle her outburst again. She felt a stranger now.

I could feel my hands itching to open the books Lewis has given me to read up about the Immortals which was a fun thing to do given my love for books. I've read up, with Alex as my go-to person, he helped answer questions I had. What are Immortals, what gifts they have and so on. I didn't have to face Arden too often which Alex understood after my breakdown. 

"Come on Laura, stop spacing out its your turn!" Soren whined, I snapped out of my daydream and saw Bri give me a wink followed by rubbing her nose. I threw out a card and there was silence. Soren's jaw dropped while Bri started sniggering as we both look at him.

"Pay up! Pay up!" We chanted, hands stretched out to win back out gummy worms, hearing him grumble about the end of his winning streak. My ears perked up at the ring of the doorbell. The two gave me confused looks as I grinned at them and raise one finger, telling them I'll be back.

"Hey brown eyes." Arden smiled down at me, and I froze for a millisecond as Alex waved from behind. Arden didn't know about my breakdown, Alex didn't tell him. I smiled and gestured for them to enter, it was almost like a stand-off, Soren stared at them slacked-jaw, Bri was almost hyperventilating.

"Well you guys know Arden. This is his brother, Alex." I introduced smugly as Bri mouthed to me 'What the hell' I was so gonna get it from her.

A chorus of heys, sup man, hello, echoed the room before it turned silent.

I rolled my eyes, clapping my hands to get their attention, "so are we gonna sit around and do the awkward silence ritual or play some games?" I raised an eyebrow at the group.

"Oh, I brought monopoly deal!" Alex exclaimed taking them out from his back pocket, Bri's hands immediately latched themselves on his arm."You have that! Oh my gosh that is like my favourite game ever!" She squealed, jumping up and down, "come on Laura, you can't say no. Let's play it. Please, please, please." She pleaded, her blue eyes shining intently, I felt like getting a pair of sunglasses.

"Okay okay. Let's go guys." I laughed as Bri punched the air in victory, very nearly hitting Alex's nose. The poor boy looked so traumatised getting dragged by a girl who was almost a head shorter.

As the hours went by, we had played two rounds of monopoly deal, a whole round of snake and ladders which was Alex's idea and now we're in a deadly battle of Bluff. Everyone was guarded with the cards they have. Except I saw Alex 'accidentally' brushing against Bri's hand. His eyes practically lighted up as he read her mind and knew the cards she had.

With narrowed eyes, I held onto Alex's arm and screamed at him through my mind to stop cheating with his gift. He visibly winced before I smiled triumphantly and released my hands. Turning back I caught Soren's curious eyes, and I smiled at him sheepishly. After all, I always kept to myself unless I was with them but now I was so friendly with the boys, it must be hard for Soren too. Arden looked at our interaction with curiousity and I could feel his gaze.

"Three," I called out, laying down my last card. Looking at each one of them, no one offered to second guess my card and I leaned back against the sofa,  "You guys can go ahead. I'll go make some drinks." I stood up, making my way to the kitchen, leaving the complaints from the group left behind. From the kitchen, I looked out the small window that showed the living room, they had just met a few times but they were now hanging around like they've known each other for years. Sighing, I gulped the rest of my water and washed my cup.

Then it happened. The loud screech again, like when Wanderer appeared. The cup in my hand dropped into the sink with a loud clank as I reached up to cover my ears. Arms turned me around, and I looked up with frantic eyes. 

"I heard it, again." I whispered to Arden, "the same noise as when I encountered the wanderer." The concern in his eyes faded, the wheels turning in his mind. 

"Go tell everyone we'll move to the guest room, say that it'll be more comfortable, I'll let Alex know so he can keep an eye on the three of you. I'll keep you safe, I promise." His hands went to brush my hair behind my ear.

"What's going on?" Soren asked aloud making me jump in Arden's arms, a hand flying to my heart. His eyes staring at where Arden's hands were.

"Soren! You gave me a scare there," I laughed nervously, averting my eyes before they shoot up to his face in panic. "What? Did something happen?"

"No no, nothing's up. Just worried about you. You know you left for quite some time, then you know, Arden here disappeared too. So we were wondering what was going on." Soren spoke, his eyes never leaving Arden.

"I'm heading out for a while, I'll be back soon." Arden replied, with a pat on my shoulder, he left the room. 

"What's wrong with you Soren?" I crossed my arms, tapping my feet. "That was totally uncalled for. And really, we were wondering? Isn't it just you?" His eyes widened at the accusation.

"Wha- Come on, I am your best friend. Can't I be worried about you? You barely know the guy and -" 

"And what? I've known them for a little over a month. And I trust him and his brother. Why can't you trust me for the judgments I make?"

"Trust you? Laura, look at what happened with the last guy? Remember Charles? I don't think that was a very good judgment." He scoffed, looking away before freezing at what he said.

"Laura.. I-" He whispered, a horrified look on his face.

"That's what you think of me? Well, thanks for letting me know." I cut him off and walked out the kitchen. 

"You know he didn't mean it, Laura," Alex spoke up. 

"Yeah sure." I rolled my eyes. I was hurt but I'm not saying anything. He was my best friend. how can he say such a thing? 

"He likes you, Laura. Honey, We'd all be blind if we couldn't see it. He's just jealous that you and Arden are so close." Alex spoke then walked towards the group, leaving me to stand between the kitchen and the living room.

As I slowly walked back to the room, I looked around, Bri was already getting tired yawned again for the thousandth time. Looks like the cake I baked will be for breakfast. 

"Come on, it's time for bed, everyone go to the room." Bri nodded at what I said and swayed as she stood up. Alex being the gentleman helped her to the guest room while Soren followed behind, giving me one last look with his sad eyes. I'll forgive him, maybe tomorrow morning.

Maybe if he says my cake is good I would forgive him.

I looked at the clock that hung on the wall, 11:15. It was getting late and Arden was not back yet. It's been like three hours since he left. I grabbed a cup of apple juice slowly sipping on it while I sat in the kitchen. I wondered if it was another body which required him to investigate. Alex was older but why was Arden the one who had to go?

Three sharp thumps sounded from the door, quickly snapping me out of my thoughts. Speak of the devil, I guess he's back.

"What took you so long? It's so late!" I scolded, opening the door, but out there did not stand Arden.