Chapter 7 School isn't just rainbows and butterflies

I was so thankful for my bicycle.

People drove or walked to school. Being poor I did neither but ride my bicycle. Today was the first day of school and I was just so excited to see my friends. The weekend had been fun. With Arden and Alex around, there was not a moment of boredom. We had a movie marathon, a board game night and a pizza party. Annalise had fed us real good, the woman was a goddess in the kitchen despite her age. But something nagged in the back of my mind. Like I've forgotten something important. But I shrugged it off after the second day spent at the Castel household.

Despite the good times spent with them, I left home earlier than the boys did. They were bound to want to drive me to school and if we arrived in the same car, tongues were bound to wag loose.

"Look who crawled out of her cave." A rich voice I would recognize anywhere. Kara. My childhood best friend turned... I have no idea. Well, if I had to guess, it would be puberty and high school that happened. I sighed internally and closed my locker to face her.

"What do you want, Kara?" I was bored of this. She usually picked on me with her other two lackeys. But she was alone today. They usually picked on me due to my size, I was a bit bigger when I was younger but I eventually lost my baby fats and coupled with not having enough food, being beaten, well you get the gist of it. But because I shed my baby fats at a slower pace than her I eventually became a thorn in her side. And with that, she cast me out. I don't blame her though, high school was relentless.

"Oh nothing, just wondering did you binge eat over the holidays?" She sneered, flipping her hair over her shoulders as though she was on a higher ground than I was. 

"We've been over this hundred of time. We used to be best friends, what happened?" I tried pleading with her, this is a common scene by the way. I always did this when she was alone, but when her two minions were around, it's a different story. 

She curled her lips up in disgust at the sound of the words, 'best friends'.

"You rotten child." For a moment she looked like my mother screaming those words to me, hands raised to hit me, but I blinked and I was back in school next to my locker in front of Kara. 

"You are not my best friend. Who do you think you are? You are fat and ugly. You make me look bad." She growled out, but before she could lay a hand on me an arm was draped on my shoulders.

'This woman still bothering you Laura?' Soren and Briana, my best friends post-Kara stood behind me.

Like a goddess, Briana stood tall with her long blonde hair and piercing blue eyes while Soren was the opposite, with his black hair and green eyes. Kara took one look at Soren's arm on me and Bri standing next to me and her eyes flashed with something before she left with a huff.

'So Bri, I haven't seen our friend in months. Do you know where she went?' Soren thought aloud, turning his back to me. 

'Yeah, me too. Where do you think she went?' Bri replied bored. 

'Hello?' I tried breaking into their conversation. 

'Hey Soren, do you hear that?' Bri cupped her hands to her ear, 'I think there's a small voice calling for us.' Soren's eyes widened and I rolled my eyes. 'Yes I hear it too!'

'Guys, stop it. I'm sorry okay. I didn't mean to ignore you for the entire holiday. I promise to make it up to you guys.' I groaned and shot them an irritated look.

'Great! A muffin for me and cookie for thunder boy over there.' Bri grinned and looped her arm with mine, 'so did anything happen?' Bri's eyes discreetly scanned my body for any visible injuries, and I sighed pulling my arm away from her.

Bri and Soren found out about what my mum and Dave did to me four years back. They ended up declaring themselves as my protector, but that was all they did. I would never let them get into trouble.

*Four years ago*

"Laura, listen to me!" Bri whined, trying to grab my attention for the fifth time but I was trying to hold back the pain I felt. I was spaced out and trying not to wince with every move I made. This was one of the worse beatings that I had to endure, both mum and Dave were around and I was bringing over a bottle of wine they requested for, but I couldn't reach and it fell. And the rest, was a memory. 

'Are you even listening to me?' Bri, who didn't know anything, grabbed my arm to turn me to her. But the arm was the one Dave stomped on yesterday. I let out a short shriek in pain, gaining the attention of Soren. Bri stared at me in shock and let go of my arm while my hands went to cradle it. It wasn't broken, But it sure as hell was bruised. Thank god, school was over and there was barely anyone. 

"What the hell did you do Bri?" Soren scolded, but I barely registered it as the gasp from Bri silenced everything else. Soren had gently moved my hand away and lifted up my sleeve. I dare not look at it myself, but now it seemed to have blossomed into a patch of mixed red and purplish-black.

"Laura, please talk to us." Soren's voice pleading with me.

"Mum.." I whispered, averting my eyes, the look of heartbreak on my best friend's faces were etched in my mind. They were the people who were family to me. The heartbreak on Soren's face turned to one of pure determination to protect or avenge I couldn't pinpoint.

From afar, we looked like a couple of fifteen-year-olds sitting under the tree after school passing time. But what went on was serious business. It was that day the pair of them made a pact to never let me go through that sort of pain ever again. 

*Present*

"I'm fine." I forced a smile, but I could see the disappointment on Bri's face.

"Why can't you just rely on us?" Soren raised his voice, the other students were already looking on and starting to whisper. 

"Thanks, Soren." I glowered at him but Bri didn't let me go. She played the mediator at times like this. "Calm down Laura, are you alright? You're feeling hot." I shut my eyes, calming myself down. I didn't like this feeling, but Soren was being an ass.

"I'm sorry for shouting Laura, but I'm not sorry for asking you to rely on us. We are your friends. Tell us honestly, did anything happen?" Soren asked softer now, this time Bri was looking at me nodding, encouraging me to speak. 

"There were only three incidences," I started and their eyes widened, "don't cut in. I will only speak and you will only listen. Anything that happened, happened. Don't do anything or say anything. Understand?" I asked, They nodded but Soren's jaw was clenched, it was hard for the boy. And I went on to explain.

I took Soren's and Bri's hands and sandwiched them between mine, 'You guys are the best friends I can ever have, so please just listen and forget.' I implored, Bri was torn but nodded and gave me a hug while Soren still held my hand not moving. But showing him my puppy dog eyes were enough and he hugged us both. 

"Now can we get to class?" I asked and Soren slapped himself on the forehead, 'We have class! I nearly forgot! Has the bell rung? We-" The bell rang and stopped him in the middle of his sentence and his eyes widened. 'Come on girls! I can't afford another detention slip. Coach will have my head.' He grabbed our wrists and pulled us to the direction of class. Our laughter trailing in the wake of our footsteps.