Chapter 12 Black mass, Pointy Teeth

"Okay, I had enough of this moping around. What is wrong with you woman?" Bri slammed her tray on the table and gestured at me with her fork, I poked at my broccoli and shrugged. 

"Nothing's wrong," I muttered and gathered my things, appetite lost,"I'll be in the library." Bri's protests left behind as I walked out. Ana casting me out, Alex injured and Arden not being in school. I was barely holding it together.

The library was on the fourth floor with tall shelves and aged books, it was by far my second favourite place. The public library at the mall was much bigger and grander not just study materials but also recipe books, fiction, non-fiction, basically everything and my favourite place to hide at whenever mum had Dale over. I took a corner seat and plopped down on a dark blue beanbag.

I picked at my mint coloured sweater that Lynn had given me, and it was my favourite top. Aside from saving up money for a new house and for clothes, the woman would occasionally hand me pass me downs so I wouldn't be so worried about money. But I always suspected them to be newly bought, as she would forget to cut off the tags but recently she had given up pretending they were second hand and would just leave them in my locker. Of course, I repaid her by coming up with recipes and being her one-stop helper. Thinking of it, I have yet to submit my work schedule.

"Hello, anyone home?" Soren knocked at my head, resulting in shooting him with my death glare. I picked up the recipe books and notes that were sprawled around while Soren made himself comfortable. Dropping his bag on the ground with a thud, his hockey equipment spilled out of his bag. He raised an eyebrow questioningly and sat straighter to face me.

"So I heard from a little birdie that my best friend Laura doesn't seem to be like herself for the past week." He pretended to be deep in thought then turned to me with narrowed eyes, "So spill, what's wrong?" 

"Nothing's wrong, first Bri then you, who's next?" I muttered, so much for having some alone time. I started packing again when another voice stopped me in my action.

"Laura, can I speak to you?" 

I ignored him and packed even faster. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Soren get up.

"Can't you see she isn't interested in talking to you?" Soren remarked, standing to his full height, they were almost eye to eye. Arden ignored him and continued, "Come on, babe I really need to talk to you." He pleaded but was stopped by Soren who took a step forward and grabbed his collar. Babe? That was new.

"Don't you understand English? Or do I have to make you understand?" Arden's choice of words hit the spot and Soren's voice rose, the other kids were starting to look over.

"Okay, that's enough." I stepped in between the two before Soren lost it. The other students sitting around were now whispering and openly staring. I instructed Arden to wait outside and dragged Soren back to our belongings.

"Soren, it's okay. Really." I muttered, packing my notes in order. Knowing how Soren would behave, it was better to calm him first before he turned mama bear. 

"What? It's definitely not okay!" He fumed, pacing up and down. "You can't do this. What if he hits you or does something to you?" He worried and I shook my head. 

"It's definitely okay. He's a close friend."

"And what are Bri and I, next door neighbours?" He stopped pacing to stare at me, incredulity written all over his face. 

"No, Soren you know what I meant. You and Bri are my friends too." I sighed, all the exasperation fled me and I was so tired. hoping that he understood. I looked out at where Arden stood, he was standing so still outside by the door. Almost as if he wasn't breathing, I wonder if something happened at home.

"I'll be fine I promise. I'm sorry for not being there for you guys okay? Maybe bring Bri to my place on Friday. I'll text you my address." I smiled at the shocked on his face.

"Your place? You serious?" I nodded and this stupid grin started to stretch across his face, making even me laugh.

"Okay, that's enough for me. I just don't want you getting hurt. But just tell me what is going on with that kid over there." He looked up at me and opened his arms, "Hug?" I smiled and nodded, walking into his open arms. Kid.. Soren has no idea man, no idea. That 'kid' over there is over 90 over years old.

"Just be careful Laura." I nodded into his chest, his head resting on mine.

"So, what's up?" I asked, we were walking out to the car park, the sky getting dark with the rumbling thunder but no lightning in sight. I sighed internally, hoping that Arden brought the car, all I had was my bicycle so this better be quick or maybe I can catch a ride from him. 

I had barely noticed that he had stopped when I turned to look at him with a confused look. He stood stock still in the middle of the car park with his head hung down. As soon as I tried to move his head snapped up, black wispy tendrils started to invade his eyes till the whites were all gone, not a trace of humanity left.

"Arden..." I moved towards him but a noise so shrill pierced the air making me slap my hands over my ears but just as soon as it sounded it stopped. Right before my very eyes, Arden's skin started splitting, black goo oozed from the cracks and his skin sagged down to the ground and started melting leaving a foul smell. When everything was shed, a goo-like being was left standing where he stood. 

Can you hear me?

The creature's head tilted to the left as though asking the question. I nodded hesitantly, and a split appeared vertically across the rounded blob which I assume would be its head. Rows upon rows of teeth, stained a dark red stared back at me. A scream erupted from my lips as it grinned at me. 

Excellent, excellent. You're the one they spoke of. 

"You're not Arden.." I railed off, moving backward. 

It shook its head. 

I am, I. And you will be mine. 

It ran forward with a shrill cackle, arms and head failing about as it approached me. I stood rooted to the ground, paralyzed by fear. But as soon as it was within an arm's breadth I was yanked back by the collar of my shirt and I fell to the ground with a yelp. 

"Sorry, I'm late love." A British accented voice spoke. A man in his forties stood in front of me "Give me a moment." He winked and grabbed the creature by the head while it was still running with ease and mumbled something that I couldn't make out. As soon as he finished, the creature combusted into flames. The shrill scream it emitted while being burned slowly turn low and gruff till it faded away and all that's left was black soot on the ground. 

"Now, are you alright? It isn't every day someone comes across a wanderer. Nasty things they are." The man continued speaking wiping his hands with a piece of cloth.

He was tall and well built, a man in his forties. Deep-set, ocean green eyes, the colour of frosted glass. His brown hair was parted and swept to the left. Dressed in a white formal button shirt with rolled up sleeves and black pants. He looked like he could fit in as a teacher. 

The only thing that gave him away was the lack of numbers.

"Who are you?" I blurted out, "what are you doing?" At this, he raised an eyebrow at me.

"Is this how you treat your saviour?" He spoke slowly, approaching me till he towered over me.

"I shouldn't have listened to Alex." He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Stand up." He ordered. 

"Alex? You know Alex? How is he? Are you one of those Immortals?" I scrambled to get onto my feet, his eyes looked as though they could pop out of their sockets if they wanted to. 

"Shut it, oh my Guardians. Give me the strength to handle this mortal." He closed his eyes and muttered quietly.

"Hold your breath love." He murmured, "it's going to be a hell of a ride." He placed a hand on my shoulder.

I held my breath. But I didn't expect what was coming next.

"What the hell did you do to her?"