Chapter 13 Introductions Made

"She's practically green! Stop fighting and bring her a bucket or to the toilet!" Alex hollered from the bed.

My hands flew up to my mouth and my eyes widened as I knew what was coming next. I felt a gust of wind and next thing I knew I was in the toilet, never have I been so thankful to see a toilet bowl. My hands groped around until it found it's destination. I tore a piece of toilet paper and wiped my mouth. As I weakly flushed the contents, I slumped down and rested my forehead against the cooling wall tiles.

"You feeling better?" He murmured and I nodded weakly, "Come on." He moved to lift me but I snatched my hand away before realising that I shouldn't be touching him. Too close, it was too close. I could have killed him.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't even be here." I whispered, my arms going around to hug myself, "you should go out. I'm not supposed to touch you. I could hurt you." I trailed off horrified as he came closer. I squeezed my eyes shut, wishing for him to go out instead. 

As his arms went around me, I anticipated the shock and explosion that happened to Alex but none of that came. I didn't even glow like previously. I looked up at him with even more unshed tears and choked on a sob before crying my heart out. His arms holding me close to him while rubbing circles on my back, whispering that 'It's okay'. 

I spent an entire week avoiding them, thinking that I could have killed them by accident, thinking that I was a bane in their lives, a threat. But here I am, standing in his embrace. Bodies were turning up as Arden said, and now there's a creature out there, it's all too much.

"Do you feel better now?" Hs voice muffled as he spoke into my hair, and I nodded, sniffing and wiping away the remaining tears. "Go wash your face, I'll wait here." He pushed my hair away and moved to the toilet bowl, putting the seat down and sitting on it.

I turned to face the mirror and saw my own reflection, I let out a gasp involuntarily as my face morphed into one of horror. Did I look like that? While Arden was hugging me and soothing me, I looked like.. like.. That?  

"Breathe brown eyes," Arden said from behind me, rubbing my back.

After a few minutes more, we exited the toilet with Arden still keeping an arm around me and there stood Annalise with the English guy. Her eyes zoomed onto the arm that Arden kept on mine and her face morphed from fear then anger. 

"Take your hands off him!" She screamed and bulldozed her way over, shocking both Arden and English dude. 

"I told you not to touch my boys. You managed to stay away but why are you back?" She fumed and grabbed my arm, "get out, get out of my house!" Her voice turned shrill as strands of white hair fell over her face, veins were popping out on her forehead and I cowered back, hands going up to shield my face.

"That's enough Anna." The man spoke out, taking Annalise's hand off me and I stumbled back into a solid chest.  

"What's wrong with you Anna?" Hurt laced his voice, I looked up to see the disappointment in Arden's face as he shook his head and turned us away, I peeked over Arden's arm and the pair who remained stared at us leave. The English man's poker face only highlighted Anna's face full of anger tenfold.  

We entered another room and Alex was sitting on the bed. As soon as Arden placed me on the loveseat, he walked over and gave Alex his hand and I watched as Alex's face turned to a mix of anger and sadness. 

"How could she!" He whispered and Arden just kept quiet and sat next to me emotions flickering across his face like a broken television. I turned to face him and cautiously took his hands into one of mine and while the other went to his face.

"It's okay." I placed my palms on either side of his face as I continued speaking, "It's okay." I smiled as I watched him close his eyes, struggling to stop overthinking and erratic emotions. 

He opened his eyes and look at me with a smile, "Thank you." 

"Okay, sure, ignore the sick and single person and act all lovey-dovey in front of said sick and single person." Alex drawled with his arms folded, "come on, 'fess up since when did this thing start?" He smirked, pointing at us. 

"It's called a friendship, haven't you heard of it?" I shot back red-faced, and Arden nodded. 

"A friendship blossoming into something more. Well, tell me when you're ready." He waved and lay back on his bed. 

"Arden, how is it that I'm able to touch you? And who is that guy out there?" I asked after a moment of silence. 

"Hmm let's start with the simple stuff. That's Lewis, one of the oldest Immortals around, he's like what 900? Just ignore him, he's harmless like a fly." Alex spoke up in place of Arden who nodded at the information presented. 

"So his gift is.. teleportation?" I stated, 

"Excellent observation." Arden nodded but sat up abruptly when he realised the answer came from another voice.

"My name is Lewis Browne. I am indeed older than these juveniles but I am yet 900, I am only 548." He corrected and sat on the armrest of the loveseat. Well, he was still old, ancient almost. 

"I do have the gift of teleportation, but I do have another gift. One I hope you do not find out." His face turned serious but he started laughing it off but there was a gleam of pain in his voice that was gone almost immediately.

"About your other question, it's definitely something that we have been trying to find out. Alex has enlisted my help and I owe the boy a great debt so I shall help you." He smiled then turned to the two boys.

"Regarding Anna, I have never seen her behave this way. I did watch her grow from a babe as I did with this two, but I believe growing up with the two of them might have incurred emotions that she has kept at bay since young. But nonetheless, it's no way that she should behave in such manner." He continued speaking to the boys.

"Now my dear" He turned to me and clapped his hands together. "Based on what I've heard your name is Laura and your mum abuses you with her boyfriend. But that is all Anna would tell me. Now, what is it that I need to know? That caused that big reaction from her?" He questioned. I looked at Arden helplessly but all he did was place an arm around me and looked at Lewis.

"Uhm, I'm not really sure what else Anna has told you. But I am able to see when people die. The boys only found out when I had an episode and when I touched Arden, I glowed and then I was bleeding. Alex touched my mother and immediately exploded as though he was burned." I summarized.  

"My word... though your mother is a human, that I'm sure of, but for you to possess such fine gifts. You must be a halfling. Amazing, never in my 500 years have I seen one." His eyes glittered with excitement as he reached out to grab my hand, "tell me what is it like? To have the gift of an Immortal yet lead an extended mortal life."

"Uhhh..."

"Lewis, how do you know she's a halfling? And don't overload her, she only found out a week or two ago about all this Immortal shit. Give her time to adapt." Alex sobered up as Lewis sat back abruptly, nearly falling off the armrest.

"I apologise, my manners seem to have deserted me. Let me know if you have questions. I will try my best to answer them. But I shall take my leave now, I have to find out more before I chat with you. I shall speak to Anna for you boys too. Have a good day my dear." He kissed my hand and curtsey before walking out the room with his hands behind his back.

The three of us shared a look and burst out giggling. Lewis really did have a weird way of speaking. 

"Oh my god." Alex breathed and we all fell into heaps of laughter. 

A halfling, who would have thought.