Chapter 22 Trainings

"What do you mean halfling everyone is talking about?" I raised an eyebrow and Alastor turned to me, smiling sheepishly. 

"Well, halflings aren't uncommon per say. But they are always low lying and no one really disturbs them unless they start manifesting malevolent intentions. But in your case, when demons started targeting you, a supposedly 'normal halfling'," adding quotation marks with his hands, "the Immortals started doing checks and your ancestry was revealed which is why everyone is talking about you. But don't worry, Lewis is trying his best to keep your whereabouts under wraps, you won't be expecting any Immortals knocking on your door." Alastor explained. 

"She's the one? I mean, when everyone spoke of her, I expected more." She huffed, rolling her eyes. Alastor shot her a glare and she shrunk back. 

"Go back, Penelope. I'll talk to you later." He shot at her coldly and opened up a portal, pointing to it. Grumbling, she trudged towards the portal, the moment she stepped in, Alastor closed it and rubbed his temples. 

*************

"Ms Holland, could you please answer question 5a." I sighed and went up to the board, did the question and went back to my seat, gaining an impressed look from my math teacher. 

Everything went back to normal after Friday's occurrence involving the messenger and Alastor's arrival with Penelope. Well, I learned new things about myself too. 

1. I can create blue flames

2. I can create illusions/hazes stuff 

Illusions were the craziest thing that happened. Immortals usually had only 2 gifts at most. And now on top of seeing people's death, I can create these things. A half-breed like myself shouldn't be able to do even two of them. I looked over to Soren's empty seat, lucky him to skip school today after being sick from attempting a second spell that Alex taught him. 

Burning Penelope was an illusion that I cast on her without realising, which explained why Arden didn't step in, he couldn't see the smoke that came from 'burning' her. I thought back to what Alastor said, there were too many occurrences. Aside from my situation with creatures, three more bodies have turned up since then. Alex and Arden are not around as often but I can put up a decent fight with any lower level creatures that came near. Alex was training me to use my powers without tapping into the different hazes. 

"Come on, you need to tap into that power. Imagine the flame you saw. Channel it into your hands." Alex barked from opposite me, they had conjured up the image of a wintry snow-land like when Alastor did with Level One's kitchen it became a portal leading to Arden's home. Arden stood off at the portal, ready to control me when he senses the haze. Apparently, he's the only one able to sense them. 

"I know, I'm trying." I gritted out through clenched teeth, the harsh winds were making me shiver through the thin jacket they told me to put on, neglecting to tell it was a winter wonderland.

"Try harder." Alex taunted, and I growled out. I ran towards him and used the excuse of a weapon they gave me to hit him. But it was only an illusion and I sneaked up behind him and grabbed him by the neck, dragging him to the ground with me. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to picture the flame.

"Woah. Well done brown eyes." I heard a distant voice shout, followed by a "Get her off, get her off. It's hot!" Alex was shouting, repeatedly trying to pry my arms that were around his neck off. As I peeked through one open eye, I gasped and pushed Alex off and watched as he rolled away and into the snow unmoving. 

"Ahhh.. The cold.." He sighed in contentment.

I was covered in blue flames. All across my body. It flickered and sparked as though it was alive.

"Well, what do you know. They respond to your emotion. Hey, you're like a stove!" Alex exclaimed and started rolling in laughter.

I rolled my eyes and did as he said, pushing it all to my fingertips, I felt a tingly sensation and I watched as it formed a ball. But it was extinguished as soon as its shape was formed. I couldn't even throw it at the idiot. 

"That's enough, you're exhausted. It's good that you've managed to cover your body with the flame. We'll focus on attack next training." Arden spoke up, his hands on mine. Well, his fireproof hands. He was dressed in a fireproof outfit Alastor brought, courtesy of Lewis after he heard what I could do.

I shook my head at the thought of our most recent training, after countless physical workouts, I finally managed to produce the flame to cover my body. Although I was still having trouble manipulating flame bolts. But well, it's been two weeks since everything happened. Lewis is still not back and mum and Dale have yet to return despite the end of the manipulation, but I guess it's good that I'm not getting beaten up. 

But today was the day, I had a couple of things to talk to the brothers about. 

1. My father

2. My hazes

3. My powers

"Come on, let's go grab lunch." Bri hooked her arm around mine, taking me out of my thoughts before I got any deeper. She missed the entire show with Penelope but was as proud as a mother hen after learning I kicked her butt. 

"Why isn't Arden here today?" Bri asked as we queued to get our food. Today's special was tuna sandwich, choco chip muffin and potato salad. Man, the two of them are missing out. 

"Well, Alex had to go receive some parcel that Lewis sent over. Arden was called on to extract answers from demons who were in the area of the dead bodies," I lowered my voice and leaned nearer to her, "But even with Arden's power, the demons would combust before they speak about what happened. Apparently, the source of magic is ancient and the higher-ups are pissed." Bri nodded at what I said and I nodded back in response and for a minute we were both caught up in our own thoughts. 

Bzzt Bzzt bzzzzt

Grab Bri and meet me at the car park once school ends.- Alex

"Well, what do you know, speak of the devil."