Chapter 8 Fairy lights

"So, mind explaining to me why there is a Greek god sitting with us?' Bri whispered with a grin so wide she might just split her face in half. Arden had found me during lunch and I told him to grab a table while I waited for Bri and Soren. I rolled my eyes at Bri's description but stopped myself, well I did call the brothers Adonises. 

'Arden, Briana, Soren. Soren, Briana, Arden. There we go.' I introduced and carried on munching on my chicken mayo wrap. It was just so good but I had to sacrifice my muffin to Bri and buy a cookie for Soren. How sad can my life get?

'That's barely an explanation.' Bri whined while Soren remained standoffish and Arden seemed to sense Soren's hostility and returned it tenfold.

'He's my next door neighbour who moved in during the holidays. I spent quite a bit of time with him and his older brother.' I further elaborated. Bri seeming unsatisfied with the answer shot me a look saying this was not over. But Soren continued with his silent brooding.

"I'm  Arden Castel, as Laura mentioned. Just moved in next door and same age. Uh well, what else do you wanna know?" He asked charmingly and I could see Bri swooning. If she met Alex, she's a goner.

"Oh yeah I do wanna know something. Like what are your intentions with Laura?" Soren narrowed his eyes.

"Well, Laura is an amazing and independent woman. And I'm honoured to be her friend. She an amazing woman." Arden replied with ease, the hidden meaning shot straight out to Soren, whose eyes narrowed further. The tip of my ears turned red hearing him address me as a woman. I mean I am a female but hearing the words roll off his tongue so casually made me feel shy.

"Well Soren, your eyes will disappear if you don't stop. And it's either by your glaring or my fists to your face." I warned and went back to eating my wrap.

"Wait aren't you Arden Castel?" Kara's voice sounded from behind me. But before I could acknowledge her, her hands were all over Arden. Who by the way looked anything but comfortable.

"Yes, yes I am. What do you want?" He politely asked, but his actions showed otherwise, Bri was holding in a laugh as he picked her hands off his arm with two fingers.

"Would you like to join me and my girls? Rather than with this group." She purred hands going to his chest. "You're the son of Thomas and Jodi Castel, the power couple. Sitting here would only sully your name." She moved closer to him, her mouth barely an inch away from his ear.

My head pounded with recognition. Thomas and Jodi Castel, founders of Castel Corporation. The powerhouse of the electrical industry. How could I have not noticed? Alex and Arden basically screamed power and yet I oblivious to it all. I packed my chicken wrap, no longer hungry for it as thoughts invaded my head. As I stood up the murmurings from the crowd started, competing with the voices in my head. I looked at the group of us, Kara with a look of triumph but in her eyes something else. Bri and Soren were too busy looking at Arden and Kara respectively. Arden however, was staring straight at me. I swear I saw his mouth move, but I was already running out the cafeteria door.

I ran. And ran. And ran. The school's hallways seemed so narrow, my head was spinning and I crouched down holding my head. These panic attacks are happening too frequently. I had to find a place to hide. I had t-

'Laura breathe.' Arden's calm voice penetrated through the haze, my breathing slowing down considerably as I looked into his silvery grey eyes. I could feel his hands coming around me, but I couldn't avoid the contact. I was going to die. I squeezed my eyes shut waiting for the onslaught of numbers and faces and blood gushing from my nose.

But nothing happened.

'Laura...' I could hear Arden whisper, opening my eyes, I realized I was glowing. Not the spotlight kind of glow but a fairy kind, soft light. My hair was floating all around us. However, the moment I looked at him, it felt like a rubber band being snapped back and my head was hurting, my nose gushed with blood. 

'Laura!' Arden shouted, and I blacked out. 

I was floating, my eyes were closed but I could feel something touching my hand. 

"Laura..."

'Who's there?' I called out weakly, my voice hoarse as though I have not used it in days. I tried opening my eyes and was blinded by the bright light. 

"Oh, honey.."

'Dad? Is that you?' My eyes focusing on the figure in front of me.

'You're not supposed to be able to get here.' His voice growing stronger, rather than a whisper. His form became more defined. 'You have to go back, go Laura, now. You have to.' He pleaded, but like an old tv with static, he started to fade away. 

'No dad, I'm not letting you go. You have to come back! You have-'  I lunged forward to grab at his sleeve but was pulled back.

My eyes snapped open, taking in a lungful of air. 'LAURA!' I winced at the loud voice. 'Oh thank god, you're alive. Oh! Thank the Guardians!' 

''Oh god, Arden what happened? You're covered in blood!' Another voice, a female voice. 

'Bri? Arden? What's going on?' I whispered, 'why is the ceiling spinning? I feel sick.' I mumbled, closing my eyes again

'No don't you dare close your eyes.' I felt a light slap on my cheek. 'Bri please don't let Soren know. I'll take care of Laura.' Arden asserted and Bri nodded, I managed a small smile and wave as Arden carried me out bridal style into his car. 

'Please stay awake. Laura, please.' His voice strained, with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on mine, he fought to keep his eyes both on the road and on me. 

'I'm sorry..' I muttered as I closed my eyes. I couldn't fight it. The darkness enveloped me, welcoming me like an old friend.