Chapter 1

"It's simple. Really. You put one foot down and then put the other one in front and shift your weight. Continue doing it fast enough and you're running!" I told him this and he exploded with laughter, making me giggle in response. Charles was nowhere to be seen and I was secretly glad for that. At least I didn't have to push him away again. Bri looked over at me from the corner of the room and raised her glass, I grinned at her in response and she threw her head back in a laugh before turning her attention back to the boy in front of her. 

Feeling a tap on my shoulder, I looked back to the guy I was talking to and he smiled at me, inviting me up to his room but knowing Charles, this poor boy wouldn't survive his temper if anything more than a casual chat were to happen. 

"It's alright, I gotta g-" Unable to finish my sentence, arms around my waist and I was hoisted up, people around us catcalled and whistled as I was carried me up the stairs. I squealed when I was thrown me on the bed. I raised an eyebrow, realising that it was Charles. 

"Babe you know that it's late. I gotta go already." I whined, pushing him off when he tried to come nearer. Shaking his head he tried to place a finger on my lips but was completely off the mark. 

"Just one drink then I'll bring you home." He whispered, disarming me with his smile as he placed a glass to my lips. Sighing, I nodded. One drink isn't going to kill me. His hands inched up my waist as I drank as fast as I could, squirming as he placed kisses on my neck.

"Come on babe, what's wrong?" He slurred while continuing to nuzzle my neck and inhaling deeply as though I was a glass of wine. My head started to spin as he pushed me down onto the bed, his other hand going up to unbutton his top.

"Charles, stop. You promised." My words were slurred as I struggled to push him away.

"Oh honey, don't be a prude." He smirked and laughed before pushing my dress down, my bare chest exploded in goosebumps where the cold air hit and my hands flew up to cover myself, in that instant he grabbed me and-

I bolted upright, the sky barely a hint of sunrise. Calmly taking deep breaths, I rubbed my face and looked at the red digits flashing six on my bedside table. The white and blue walls surrounding me seemed as though the sky and the sea had combined themselves, but as always it calmed me down. Assignments lay scattered on my table jumble with the recipes I've written while my clothes are starting to pile up at a corner. I made a mental note to wash them, later.

Back to the flashing red digits and ten minutes has passed.

"Today's another day Laura, it's a normal day." I thought to myself.  Dressed in my running gear, I pulled my brown hair back into a high ponytail and washed my face. I crept out of my room and realised that it was abnormally quiet, mum's room was devoid of snores which made me breathe a little easier. I straightened up and walked more confidently down the stairs, even stepping on the one step that creaked.

Stepping out into the cool morning air and feeling the cool breeze against cheeks was a good wake up call. Charles can't hurt me anymore, well physically that it but I pushed the sour thought out of my mind and got back to stretching my calves. Starting my run was easier than I expected as I focused on the road in front of me, grounding out each step until I found my momentum.

Before I knew it, I was back at the front of my house. Panting I stretched again while the app read out my timing, distance and all the random mumbo jumbo. My eyebrows raised at the results, not bad, I thought to myself. Approaching my lane, moving trucks continously whizzed past me and lined up along the road, how did I not see them when I left home though? I really needed to work on my observation skills.