Forty-Eight: Sandman

Start from the beginning

Nora and the children made it to Wudinna together but they had lost Liz and the other four women along the way. Giving birth to a daughter, Nora promised she would never know the details of her conception or of her father.

Edvin was right about Ben not surviving the loss of his son. It was only a few weeks after learning of Robby's demise that Ben suffered a massive stroke and passed away shortly after. Edvin believed with all his heart that Ben's death was caused by the tragedy of losing everyone he loved.

John, he stayed on Plateau.

Wudinna had never really felt like home to him. Harley was the only home he'd known since the virus struck.

Harley.

She was buried under a mature Blackwood Acacia tree on the Northside of the upper Plateau.

The people who lived there visited Harley often, leaving flowers and trinkets and lighting candles for the girl who saved them all with her gift.

John visited her grave at night when the two of them could be alone together. He was meticulous about keeping her memorial clean of leaves and debris, sometimes going back to it several times in a night to make sure it stayed looking beautiful.

Beautiful like Harley.

Two years after the vaccine and aerosol had been developed, the infected population in Australia had been effectively destroyed, and all uninfected survivors had been immunized.

Slowly but surely the cure was dispersed. First to Tasmania then New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, China, India, Russia.

Within the span of thirteen years, the entire globe had been wiped clean of the 2TSE virus.

Harley's story spread from place to place at the same rate the cure spread and everyone knew it was she who saved the world.

Harley's photographs